What Laptop?

wozelbeak

Daemon Poster
i am looking to buy my son a laptop. he likes a bit of gaming, but would mainly use it for msn, homework and web browsing. he would probably like to play a few dvds on it as well. if anyone has any suggestions for around £400-£600 could you let me know.
woz

It's not bad for the price, but I think that you'd definitely been better off with 512MB RAM and a Turion, but as long as the games aren't demanding, you might just get away with it.

well just a few downsides, the vid card is 64mb and shared memory. Also the battery life is about 3h.

So not any high graphics games for him, though as u said it's not for heavy gaming so it really doesn't matter.
And to me 3h battery life seems quite short, but then ofcourse u can easily recharge it anywhere.

But it will be fine for stuff it's ment for.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, my laptop with the VIA C3 1.2GHz and 256MB DDR266 RAM handles word processing, browsing, downloading, video-playing, music-playing, DVD-playing fine, and light multi-tasking is achievable.

However, you'll probably need to make some adjustments. Install a trial version of TuneUp Utilities 2006, cause it can help you optimize your machine. Also watch the visual effects, desktop background, screensaver, running services etc. cause they all take up extra RAM and CPU resources, which you haven't got many of.

Still, it's a lot better than my laptop! :D

Back
Top Bottom