Problem with Windows XP Home Edition

Allisondt

Beta member
Hi folks,

I have a big problem with my computer. I can't get Windows to open. I have a newer Toshiba laptop and when I turn it on, the Windows symbol pops up and the green "loading" signal goes into motion underneath it. Then up pops a screen that says "Windows did not start successfully.......please highlight your choice above..." and it gives a choice of Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration, etc. No matter which one I choose, it goes through the same loop of appearing to shut down, then the Windows loading screen pops up, then the same screen of "Windows did not start successfully." It's just a loop that never gets Windows opened. I called Best Buy and they said to use my Recovery Disk and that should reprogram it to how it was when I bought it. I tried that, but even though I can hear the CD drive working, nothing comes up on the screen to acknowledge the Recovery CD. It just goes through the same loop as I described before. What to do?????

P.S. Obviously, I'm on a different computer right now.

Don't know if this is how it goes but maybe u have to boot from the recovery disk. So insert it, then restart the pc. Then when it starts up (before the windows screen) it will say "press (whatever button) to enter bios" or something along those lines. So then press that button. Then in bios find ur boot settings and set cd-rom to be the 1st boot device. Then save and reboot. Then during bootup it will ask u to press a key to boot from cd. So press a key and then follow instructions.

But as I said I'm not sure if u have to boot from the disk but u can always try.

If there is no option to boot from the CD during startup, check the BIOS settings for a startup setting. It should allow you to boot from CD first, then hard drive.

Back
Top Bottom