Computer - is this a good build? - what motherboard should i use?

MythrilBehemoth

Beta member
CPU – Intel Pentium 4 551 3.40GHz

Memory – 2GB Corsair TWINX-3200C2 DDR RAM Optimised Pair

Video Card – Leadtek nVidia GeForce PX6600TD PCI-Express x16 256MB

DVD Burner – Pioneer Internal IDE (DVR – 109)

HDD – 250GB Western Digital 7200rpm 16mb SATA II

I have no idea of what mother board to get, and this is my first time building a computer. is this all that needs to be inside the case? A quick reply is needed as im starting to purchase these items and attempting to build this computer in the next few days. Thanks.

PS: An email to me would be quicker in case i forget to check the forums.

I have two issues with your build. Firstly, I wouldn't recommend using a P4 at the moment. Intel has just anounced their new chip which will be with us next year and looks like it will be comfortably the best chip available. As it is, I would build around a cheap AMD 64 chip for now before upgrading later- a good motherboard would be anything from the Asus A8N line as they're cheap and perform well. AMD generally perform better then P4's.

My other issue is your graphics card, as the 6600gt is getting on and will struggle a lot when games such as F.E.A.R. come out. If you are interested in gaming, I would suggest getting some cheaper ram (not neccessarily less) and spending the excess on a 7800gt.

Lastly, if you still want to get the P4 (they are still the best at video encoding), make sure you get a board based around the 945 or 955 chip- they offer better performance and upgradability. Older 915 motherboards are cheaper but not as good.

Gigabyte 8I945P Pro Pentium 4 Socket LGA775 FSB1066 PCI-Express Mainboard

Would this be a suitible M-Board? also, would i need a different m-board if i get the Pentium D 830 instead? the vid card isnt a problem because this is my sisters computer, she doesnt play games.

if she doesnt play games then she deffinately doesnt need that much ram and it would be ok to get a slower P4 as well

gaming_freak said:
if she doesnt play games then she deffinately doesnt need that much ram and it would be ok to get a slower P4 as well

Yep, 1GB of ram will be more than enough, no need for 2 if she doesn't play games or do any other tasks that use lot's of memory. And the P4, a 3.0 ghz will do perfectly. U could also think about getting a little slower one so the price would go down, there isn't a point in buying a very good systems, which is going to cost alot, if u don't need one.

yea but i will need to use her computer to play a little bit of games here and there -_- my current computers running on 256 ram and i cant support many games -_- i wont be playing alot of games, mostly mmorpgs so the graphics isnt that great any way but id need some ram to support it.

lhuser said:
My bet would be to get an ASUS P5P800 or a P5C800
I just bought an Asus P5P800 whilst building a computer, when i turn it on it lasts between 10-50minutes, then it will just turn itself off. My advice would not to buy from Asus as their products suck ass and the customer services are crap!

Back
Top Bottom