Complicated upgrade situation

band-aid

Baseband Member
Ok as of right now i have a computer that i purchased from Dell 3-4 years ago. At the time i did not have the experience to build my own computer so i put one together with the best components i could get Dell to install. Well now, 3-4 years later it is starting to show its age.

It has:
X800XT PE (installed last xmas)
1 gb of RD ram (upgarded from 512mb 2 years ago)
70gb HDD
P4 2.4ghz processor

I was planning on building a new computer but keeping the X800XT PE. The problem with this unfortunately is that it is AGP. I thought a remedy to this would be a new motherboard that has both an AGP 8X slot and a PCI-E 16X slot.The problem with this is that the motherboard does not support AMD processors. This leaves me 3 options:

1) Go all out with that motherboard and the X800XT, buy a extremely powerful Pentium processor, tons of ram, and hope and pray it dosn't go obselete too soon.

2)Buy a new AGP only motherboard that supports AMD processors, get a mid-range amd processor, keep graphics card, and keep all specs mid range so in about two years when the X800XT is obsolete i will have more money to start completely over.

3)Dump the X800XT, start completely over with midrange components , hopfully with SLI capability for later on, and just upgrade it as i go.

I have been thinking about this for the past 4 months and can't come to a good conclusion. I wish there was just some way i could bridge my AGP card to PCI-E.

asrock is a good brandname, i'd go with an sli system and a system with more sata2 connectors. they are fairly new and will last longer

I'm glad you show me that motherboard i have been searching everywhere for one just like that.

Also, anyone know if they make a AGP to PCI-E bridging chip for ATI cards. I know they make one for some Nvidia cards but can't find one for ATI.

Yeah I sold a bunch of old computer parts to help get new stuff. It's a great idea I think. Ever tried looking up http://www.craigslist.org ? Just click on your city and post an ad. It's free and people typically will respond. I've sold RAM and bought things frm there as well.

Back
Top Bottom