Partitioning Help

lance1

Beta member
I'm familiar with how to use the Windows XP Disk to partition & format. I have one 6GB HDD and one 80GB HDD. I'm looking for suggestions on how I should set up my partitions. Should I even use the 6GB HDD? I'm thinking I'll have one partiiton for XP, one for Programs, one for things like temp files and temporary internet files to help prevent fragmentation, and one for all my personal files (about 20GB's worth). Does this sound right? How big should each partition be? Any help at all would be appreciated.

Hmm, I'd say install the Windows on the 6GB, and keep all system critical files and files relating to Windows (including Temporary Internet files) on there. That way, it's guaranteed safe and easier to maintain as it's on its own.

Split up the 80GB drive into different partitions. Give your programs the biggest partition (about 35GB, I'd say). You can give your personal files another 30GB or something like that. Bear in mind that the 80GB will lose a few gigs when formatted NTFS, but you do have some room for expansion for more personal files later if you want it, as you've made the partition pretty big.

Thanks for the quick reply. That sounds like what I may end up doing. Any other suggestions? I read somewhere that some people like to put their Swap file onto a partition of it's own. Is that a good idea?

lance said:
I read somewhere that some people like to put their Swap file onto a partition of it's own. Is that a good idea?

Never done that, you could give it a go if you like.

Good luck! :)

Yeah,keep your windows XP installed in 6GB HDD,totally dedicated. Then partition your 80 GB into three, 1st is 30 GB for program directories<dedicated also>, 2nd is 30 GB for your mp3,multimedia and the like. 3rd is 20 GB is for documents and other temporary files<specially classified one> so that you could install File Protector software and encrypt the entire drive.

What is a good File Protector software? Also, can I create a partition and copy the XP setup disk to it so that whenever I need to reformat and reinstal I can do it from there without the disk?

My idea is to create a copy in a CD also,and then keep your original CD in a safer place.As for file protector software, just google FileEncryptor or HideFolder software where to download but download.com must have it....

lance said:
How do I move the Programs folder to another partition?

You don't need to bother with it.

Just choose to install your program to the other drive when you install them. Program Files is just Windows way of keeping things organised, it's not compulsory, and not using it won't annihilate your system.

Back
Top Bottom