Channel A, Channel B?

grip

Baseband Member
On my Intel D865PERL board what is the difference between the Channel A & the Channel B memory slots? Each Channel has two memory slots availble. Each is given the name DIMM 0 and DIMM 1. So I have a total of 4 memory slots.

I'm guessing that those are the designations for the dual channel pairs. Channel A is for one pair, channel B for the other.

My PC performance is obviously going to be better when using all four memory slots, correct? How does dual channel memory work? Pros and Cons.

it all depends if you want all four banks filled or you want to leave some open. It doesnt really matter, there are acually no cons to dual channel. Its like a 4 way freeway (single channel) to a 8 way freeway (dual channel). How it works is that you populate the two (or four) slots. If you are going to fill two, then put the RAM in the same colored slots.

Dual channel really speeds up data transfer through the RAM. Basically, while one stick of RAM is storing/retrieving data, the other stick is transferring it to or from another part of the computer and vice versa. This back and forth saves a whole lot of total transfer time.

To use it, all you have to do is make sure two sticks of RAM are in the appropriate channel slots. So you might want to start with two 512MB sticks in the channel A slots, then maybe upgrade with another two 512MB sticks in the future for the channel B slots.

Thanks so much for the input. I plan on filling all four slots with 512 sticks. Next question is: Will my 3200 RAM be reduced to 2700 when all four slots are filled?

no they will not be reduced, that only happens on AMD Athlon 64 platforms on the E3 stepping.

RAM runs at the lowest speed of the installed RAM. So if you have two PC2700 sticks and two PC3200 sticks, it will all run at PC2700.

All sticks will be 3200. Now, I plan on purchasing Kingston ValueRAM. What effect will this lowered price RAM have on my internet, gaming and overall PC performance/speed?

Not much, if at all. Value RAM usually just has a bit higher latency and less overclocking ability. If you just want some RAM and don't plan on overclocking, you probably won't even notice a difference.

Back
Top Bottom