AMD desktops to go Socket M2 H2 2006

Well, the new socket won't be out until late next year anyway. I already have a bunch of money saved up and by then, I'll have even more money. Assuming I don't have anything expensive to buy. Maybe after Christmas shopping. I could build a system now, but next year marks a year full of wonderful stuff.

its not coming out late next year, its spring of next year, and its coming up fast.

I don't see any point in overclocking a Pentium M, cause it's a low-power chip, designed for that purpose. If I wanted a new laptop, I would buy one based on the Pentium M.

Pentium M is overrated imo. It has a poor FPU, and gets beat pretty bad at a couple of tasks by Athlon 64's and even Pentium 4's. It's also expensive, so I think I'd rather just go with a Turion MT, or wait for VIA's C7-M.

no, the pentium M is far superior to the Turions. It gets beaten by the Athlon 64's in gaming, and are the A64's desktops or DTR's? The Pentium 4's are not better than Pentium M's, maybe the Northwoods but not the Pressies. The Pentium M is priced in the right range, even though its more expensive that some cpu's its what you pay for that makes the Pentium M so great. If you dont see any point in Ocing a Pentium M, they why do people use AXP-M's to oc and not the desktop sister chips?

I've seen many articles showing the Turion to be superior to the Pentium M in many tasks, with the Athlon 64 (desktop) beating it by far.

The Pentium M is just not worth the money unless you're rich.

The Turion MT offers better performance in most cases and at a much cheaper price.

Also, I don't care about people overclocking Athlon XP-M's, cause they wanted to overclock, but I don't, so it's irrelevent.

The laptop to me is a basic machine. I'm not going to mess with OCing or even install games on it. Used primarily for school and work.

The desktop PC on the other hand, I'll OC the crap out of it and install whatever I wish. Even if you have a good CPU for a laptop, the restrictions are still there in terms of heat, power, and other bottlenecks asociated with laptop systems.

I am curious to see the boost it will give to Turions when an OS 64-bit is used.

I have to disagree completely.

IMO, if you want a gaming machine, you might want to look at a notebook equipped with a high-end Pentium M or Turion, along with the new GeForce Go 7800. Plus, you can get 7200rpm notebook drives from many vendors, like Dell, Alienware, VoodooPC, Toshiba etc.

If you want to overclock and don't mind energy consumption or the lack of portability, then yeah, a desktop PC is probably the way to go, as long as you build it yourself, so you can get real benefits from it.

But I think notebooks are definitely more valuable than a desktop PC nowadays, and Pentium M's can actually be overclocked slightly in laptops. Unfortunately, I can't find the article, but I think I remember seeing it on LaptopLogic.com.

Overclocking a laptop isn't the best thing to do...the processor is usually covered by a puny heatsink that's radiated by a small fan.

Back
Top Bottom