What's the optimum graphics card I can use?

Space_Coyote

In Runtime
My 'current' system is very outdated but I don't have much money for upgrades. This is what I'm dealing with right now:

Athlon XP 1800
GeForce 4 4800Ti 128MB
1GB Ram
350W Enermax PSU

My buddy is giving me his old Athlon 2200 and AGP Mobo (not sure what type ATM, sorry). It will help a little but not a whole lot so I was going to buy a $100-150 GFX card too.

What is a decent card from this range that will work ok with that CPU and PSU?

I found this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130220

It says min 350W so I should be ok but will the 2200 slow it down too much? If so, please recommend one that will make the best use of what I will have. I'm looking for the best price/performance ratio without upgrading the PSU (which I will do eventually when I ditch the whole thing and go PCI-E).

Thanks,

Chris

Whoa! With a 350W PSU u dont wanna run a 6600GT.....that would require too much....

Not too sure about the 6600 or the X700....

it should run fine with 6600gt so long as you dont have too much extra junk like led fans and all that. you may want to invest in a better psu though... they can go for really cheap.

Really? You don't think it will 'bottleneck' with the older CPU? I will try to find out more about the Mobo. I could upgrade the PSU to a 550W or something in anticipation of my future build.

no i doubt it, you really dont need a awesome cpu to run games on high if you have a good gfx card. except games one the source engine because they use more cpu than most

Ok, I'm pretty sure the 350W PSU will be able to handle a 9800pro/6600/X700 card. They are around the same price and look to have about the same performance. Which one would you suggest and why?

Crap, i just noticed they were 9600's, not 9800 like I thought, doh! Can someone recommend a 9800pro?

if i were u i would get the 6600gt because it performs very well and is very reliable and i think its better than teh 9800 pro

Back
Top Bottom