Computer shuts down on its own

tammy1999

Baseband Member
Hi, I work with XP (pack2), AMD 2100+ CPU, Abit KX7-333R motherboard, AMD cooking system, 1 gb ram, 80 hard drive master, 80 hard drive slave, Benq DVD rom, Benq DVD burner, ATI allin wonder radion 8500DV 64mb video card.

I am having a problem, when ever I use applications that work with pics or video for any period of time, the computer will shut off automatically. Completly shut down!! After about 15 minutes, I can restart, but not before then. If I am doing just browsing or work like that, it has never shut down. I do alot of picture and video editing and this is becoming a problem that I need to figure out. I have had this computer for about 3 years now and it has always done this. I dont know if this is a problem someone else has or not. I really could use some advice on what to do. Thanks

I always wondered that, but I have had Hardware Doctor on and it has never told me that my computer is overheating. Actually, I don't keep the side of the box on because I thought it was getting too hot. I know a Pentium III will get alot hotter than my Pentium I computer I have, but I wasn't for sure.

Try PC Wizard 2005

www.cpuid.com

and tell me how hot is the CPU. Give it a try

Just because the door is off, doesn't mean that it won't overheat

wow....convert those temps into degress C please but 131F is extremely hot, are these idle temps or load? If they are idle, run dual prime and see if the comp shuts down.

If the temps are in check.. I suspect the Power supply is overheating.. especially if the the computer wont trun back on for awhile.

have you EVER cleaned out your computer in the 3 years? if you havent you probably have a major dust issue. Run dual prime and see if it turns off. and get a new heatsink/fan.

The temps are when I turn on the computer. I haven't done any graphic work today. I was waiting to see what I could do. Yes, I have cleaned out my computers many times. I know how dust can be a problem. How do you run dual prime? I have a Duro 400 wats max power supply. If this is a power supply problem, what do you recommend? Thanks so much for your time.

dual prime is where you can run two instances of prime95. If its the power supply, i would suggest an OCZ powerstream 520 or 600 if you have the money if not, go for the Fortron AX-500 they are all very very very good psus from trustable companies.

Back
Top Bottom