Via C7-m

acphenom

Daemon Poster
I can't believe there's no thread about this new low-power CPU yet, but with all the Intel vs. AMD threads, I thought it'd be nice to step away from the usual talk, and discuss the 'other kid on the scene'; VIA.

The C3's sucked; I have one, I know. But the C7-M's look like a big improvement. It's probably the most secure processor I know of, and with SSE2, SSE3 and DDR2 support, and clock speeds and bus speeds comparable to the Pentium M's, this new chip could have a chance, performance-wise against the Turion and Dothan. Obviously, when Yonah and the dual-core Turions come out, it'll be floored totally, but VIA has plans to release dual-core, quad-core and 64-bit models of the chip in the near-future.

Here's a pretty good article on the C7-M: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/195

Awesome. I'm excited to see something new. VIA makes some great chipsets and I love their Nano-ITX board...mmm :D

Yup. I wonder what Transmeta is doing...

I got faith in the underdogs...look at AMD back when Intel dominated the whole market...and look at them now. :D

Transmeta went under, I believe.

Apparently, the VIA C7 processors, for desktop PC's, were released a few months back. Has anyone seen any of them for sale, cause I haven't.

Many companies have shown interest in the C7 apparently, except Dell, of course, with their Intel-only thing.

I'd like to see some machines powered by this chip; shame my Intel-obsessed school has recently upgraded all their PC's to either Celeron D or Pentium 4 models, or they could've got a cheaper and low-power solution in the C7.

Ah right, well, I know VIA took over or bought out some companies a while back, but I guess Transmeta wasn't one of them, but they did pull out of the CPU market, did they not?

They didn't but they're just smaller now. They still make their Efficieon and Crusoe processors.

Ah right, must've been Cyrix or some other company.

How are they doing with their CPU's, in terms of power consumption, do you know?

Not sure, but they're just as well known as VIA in power to performance ratios. They tend to power the ultra-portable laptops that are really thin, or those puny little handheld "laptops".

Back
Top Bottom