overheating?

jcon891

Daemon Poster
hey, i am having a little problem. i just put a 512 MB stick of ram in my computer, before i did that, i had absolutely no problems with it. now, its shutting off randomly when i play World of Warcraft... my question is: can something as little as a stick of ram cause my computer to overheat? i know i need a new psu, but it was working fine until i put that ram in. (my psu is a 160W, and im getting a 400W tomorrow.. will that solve the problem?

the new psu could fix the problem. If it doesn't then I think that it's a faulty ram. I doubt it overheating.

hmm, if its faulty ram i will be so pissed. i bought it on ebay... the ram actually seems to be working fine.. it made my computer soo much faster. but can it still be faulty if it is apparently in my computer, and making it run faster?

oh 1 more question, u think this is an alright psu for the price? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817159035

oh and btw, the only time the computer restarts is when i am playing world of warcraft.. dont know why, but it works completely fine besides that.

yea thats a decent psu for the price. and its probaly shutting off because your pc is on full load and thats when power is mostly needed and since u added more ram it is unlocking new power wich needs electrical power so i think your suffering from power withdrawl

yea i had a feeling it had to do w/ power cuz of my 160W., well thnx for helping, ill prob. be ordering that psu tonight .. lets hope it works (and then i can put my Radeon 9600 in that i got a couple months ago) :)

jcon89 said:
hey, i am having a little problem. i just put a 512 MB stick of ram in my computer, before i did that, i had absolutely no problems with it. now, its shutting off randomly when i play World of Warcraft... my question is: can something as little as a stick of ram cause my computer to overheat? i know i need a new psu, but it was working fine until i put that ram in. (my psu is a 160W, and im getting a 400W tomorrow.. will that solve the problem?

Why in the world are you using such a dinky power supply? Those are meant for P1 and P2's. Not modern day hardware. The 400watt psu should help.
Is it a DELL or a Compaq or something like that?

its a gateway, and i got the computer like this.. just havent had the money or time to grab a better one, but now that i am updating my computer I have decided that 160W is definitely not going to work w/ a Radeon 9600 along w/ my ram upgrade

Back
Top Bottom