Windows 95 on floppy

rnash

Solid State Member
I have an old panasonic laptop that I'm going use as a media player on my sound system, but the O/S is gone. It originally came with windows 95 on floppy. I have long ago lost all the disks and there is no CD drive. Where can I get the O/S? Online and make new disks or purchase them.
???????
Can somene help?

you can't copy any discs, but if you look on ebay you should get a win 95 o/s for next to nothing.
woz

can a floppy hold os? i mean isnt a os really small? i mean i know they put them on there and all but do they put like xp on it? an also how come you dont just install a cd drive for it?

I think the last Windows available on floppy was 98. Maybe not even that. And the OS is held by multiple floppies - some data on each disk.

This computer only has a floppy drive and yest there were about 15 floppys I think. There was an external cd drive, but its broken and of course it has a special interface cable........ Not standardized.

Win 98se is 300megs. Win 95 was around before cd's were and is considerabley smaller and came as a floppy set. And it's just a DOS interface. And not everything you want to do is going to play nice on that system.
But before you waste your time and money have you considered how slow that laptop is going to be? I would venture a good guess it's under 66mhz and I bet my bios take up more space that the hard drive has to offer.
However if you're serious you can get serial adaptors for an external cd. Use the win98 floppy to wipe the drive and the external cd drive to get win98 on the system. I think Kangaroo is still around making all kinds of interface devices. But thier a little pricey and it may not work.
Seriously you can go to a repair shop and most likely score a low cost P2 or P3 you can use and do a little adding on to get close to what you want. If you go that P2/P3 route a good rule of thumb is not pay more than 110USD for the brain box with keyboard and mouse. A used 14" monitor in good shape is anywhere from 20 to 50USD.
Good luck...
I came back to correct a typo and just happen to think those systems will have cd-rom drives and maybe a 10 or 20 gig HD.

Windows 95 takes 22 floppies

spank_fusion said:
I think the last Windows available on floppy was 98. Maybe not even that. And the OS is held by multiple floppies - some data on each disk.

Windows 98 takes 56 floppies

Back
Top Bottom