American accent

spank_fusion said:
The United States accent is affected by pretty much every major European country. In particular: England, Spain, Germany, Italy, France, Portugal, and the Netherlands.
Thanks, on this subject, we think alike then, I'm getting there, I think, but I still am hoping to find more answers as to how American English was affected specifically by the original spoken English, as I asked in my first post, at the moment most members are talking mainly about the many different accents, which is good, but not about the info I really wanted.

Come on guys

As an American... Midwest.

The accents I hear around this country are normal to me.. Latin, spanish, southern, eastern US, Western US. Can't comment on my accent, but I have heard it called a twang.

The only accent I have trouble understanding is the Aussies. That one takes me a few minutes to get into the rythm of the accent..

In the Hotel I work at there's this guy thats from Australia. Lives here now .. For the 1st few minutes I just smile and almost break out into a laugh... This is either because I have no idea what he's saying or I'm crazy..

Aw the good ol USA accents,

I am from the mid-coast so i have heard them all, sort of like the NewYork accent though.

Brought up in the hood and being in gangs will give you that street slang that i love throwing around once in a while.

My favorite accents are the Scotts/ British/ and southern such as counrty folk (kentucky)

It was probably the mixing of all the cultures. In english class we are studying anglo saxons and whats really interesting is when beowulf is read in its orrigional text it sounds like elven from lord of the rings. The language has most likely evolved from the melting pot that is America.

lol san franciscan accent. if someone says you have a san franciscan accent kick em in the nuts because it means you talk like a gay person. no offense to any gay people here or people from san francisco.

Kick em in the nuts

You say this, then you say no offence???

Mod

ENH729 said:
As an American, I can help you out with out being too stereotypical of the different regions here in the US. Our Urban centers New York, LA, Chicago, etc. do have a tendency to speak a generally faster paced version of our English. Southerners speak rather "slower" and tend to drag on suffixs. The Midwest, and Northwest speak at a "normal" rate. The reason for this variety of speeds is a result of lifestyle, you guys got that one. Clearly you don't want to spend 5 minutes on a busy NY sidewalk while waiting for a cab, thus compacting and combinding words. Southerners have more of a relaxed lifestyle, the Sunbelt region of the US also, has the highest percentage of highschool drop outs... My parents are actually from Wimbledon, so I have an English accent as well. Accent has a lot to do with the demographics of a given region. That's just my spin'.

Seti says>>> What the frack was this potshot about>>> the Sunbelt region of the US also, has the highest percentage of highschool drop outs... I didn't see you say anything insulting about any other region.
What in the hell does that have to do with how we talk down here? And for your information I am a MIT grad. I find that comment to be insulting and demand an apology.

Seti there is nuthin to be upset about. He was just pointing out a fact. Not sure if its true or not but whatever. Hes not saying all ppl from the subelt are stupid.

Well us poor ole dumb highschool dropouts just to list a few things>>>
We build>
YF-22a raptor
C-5a Galaxy
C-141 Starlifter
C-130 Hercules
We're home to the Hummer.
We have the 2nd busiest airport.
We are one of the fastest growing finance and technology centers in the world today.
Yeah us poor ole dumb highschool dropouts seem to be doing pretty good.
Oh and us poor ole dumb highschool dropouts build and maintain the US nuclear sub fleet.

ChuNalt787 I know he was just bumping his gums together, but that comment has nothing to do with this thread. Now I know what you guys feel when you think you've been insulted.
I think I'm gonna go watch the tube for a while.

I live in Rhode Island. about 75 miles from boston for those who dont know. Our accent is normal to me but when i went to wisconsin people knew i was from the east coast. We dont pronounce the letter R at all.

Back
Top Bottom