Moving XP equipped hard drive to old computer?

CopperHead4750

Beta member
I recently upgraded hard drives on my good computer. I also have an old Pentium 3 500 MHz 256MB ram computer that has no hard drive that originally had Windows 98. I was wondering if I could take the old HDD with Windows XP Pro (from my good computer) and put it in my old coputer?

The reason I ask is because I want to get that computer running again and I dont feel like reinstalling an OS to it.

There is a way actually, but I forgot how. Someone on this forum talked about it. Try searching the forums for it.

There's so many posts on this forum. I'm never going to find the right post, especially with the 4 letter per word minimum thing.

Oh and is the memory and everything good enough to support it on an old computer, although you cant do it that easily there actuallu is a way, ill look and post any updates.

Its a Pentium 3 500 MHz 256MB ram computer with (I think) a GeForce 2 graphics card in it. I was hoping I could just disable features in XP that I dont need to make it run faster.

Thanks.

CopperHead4750 said:
There's so many posts on this forum. I'm never going to find the right post, especially with the 4 letter per word minimum thing.

Look down

spank_fusion said:
There is a way actually, but I forgot how. Someone on this forum talked about it. Try searching the forums for it.

Easy. Boot Windows XP with your good comp. Go to device manager and check under system, anything that had IDE controller. Select it, then update the driver. Search the driver yourself and select standard. Shut down the computer and transfer the old DD to the old P III. Boot up and do the rest from there...enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom