Ram

Mike89

In Runtime
Right now my computer has 256MB RAM (acutally its 240) i want to upgrade to 512. Do i buy another 256 chip and add it to my current 256 or do i take out the 256 and put in a 512. I am not the best with computers so sorry if this is a stupid question.

It should have more than one memory slot,so you might aswell add 512 to make it 768, instead of loosing ram to add ram

Right.....how do i find out what brand and speed it is? once again im not good with computers so work with me please.

240 MB? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the only way to get 240MB to have one 128, one 64, one 32 and one 16MB stick?

Wrong! you can get 240Mb RAM when you have an intergrrated video card that is shared with your memory. It can be all thhe way from 1MB-128MB

The brands never have to be the same. The specs of the ram card does. If that's the e-machines you refered to in the other post it most likely uses pc100 or pc133. You best look for the memory matrix at the makers web site or you might get stuck with a ram card you can't use.
Some boards like my old Biostar had to have certin sized cards in certin slots to get to a certin ram total.
And some machines will not see past a certin ram size. It's called upper ram limit.

Add on>>> As pc133 costs more these days than most DDR ram, I would sugget you get Everest and find out what's in there now. Save yourself a lot of grief. Do your homework first then buy.

Back
Top Bottom