Constantly getting disconnected from internet

Varren1

Baseband Member
I have a broadband connection and I am constantly getting disconnected for no reason (as far as I know), especially in games it happens about every 45 minutes-1 hour. I have no idea whats causing the problem. Help?!

is the internet going straight into your computer or does it go to a router then your computer?

Yea it goes through a router (we only got it for the firewall and the oh-so-horrible Norton AntiVirus). Its a basic Linksys Router.

try to run the internet directly to your computer for awhile and see if that solves the problem. if it does then you/we know the problem is something to do with your router.

Dishdog said:
try to run the internet directly to your computer for awhile and see if that solves the problem. if it does then you/we know the problem is something to do with your router.

Indeed wise advice Dishdog, as this will quickly reveal is his ISP is to blame. Although, assuming it is the router.. it could just be the IP settings.

Dishdog said:

how do I do that?

Varren said:
how do I do that?

well the way i have mine set up is all of the computers plug into the wall, which goes downstairs into my basement, and into a router. Theres about 4 ethernet cables going into the router. I find which one belongs to me (guess and check is tidious, but i have to do it). Disconnect the one that goes to your computer. Then disconnect the router from the modem. Plug your cable directly into the modem. Then try it. If that doesn't work, plug your cable back into the router, and the router back into the cable modem. On the back of the linksys router their should be a tiny blackish gray button/dot, over it will be the word, "RESET". You will need a pen or or needle or nail to poke it as it's indented in. If you hit it the buttons on the front should start blinking. This tends to do wonders for me, and hitting this button generally tends to fix any problems i have with my linksys router. Ahh, the magical reset button.

My wireless would pull that crap...infact it happened just the past week...It would connect for like 5 minutes then disconnect all day along. I reinstalled the linksys drivers and it worked, have you tried that?

Back
Top Bottom