Monitor shutting off...

winterfreshpwnz

Fully Optimized
OK, recently, like maybe a week ago, my monitor started acting funny. What it does is it will shut down or go idle everytime I restart my computer, like even if I don't tell it to shut down and clearly press restart, it will restart so the computer will still be on, but then the monitor will start blinking the light as if I shut the computer down. It's extremely annoying because then what I have to do is shut my computer off (manually since obviously my monitor is a black screen), turn my monitor off, and then turn the monitor back on, wait maybe 10 seconds and then turn my computer back on and it will usually work again. There have also been rare occasions (like maybe twice) when the monitor would just go idle while I was using my computer, like say I was typing something to a friend, the screen would just go black and the light would blink, so I'd have to do my method to get it working. And, there have been occasions when when I got the comp back up that I would get that windows error report thing, and when I send the report, it says the problem was causes by a hardware's drivers, but they usually give that report for everything, so not sure how credible it is. Oh and one more thing that is very irritating, I usually but not always will leave my comp on at night to download movies or songs and stuff, and then when I wake up, the monitor is idle, it makes no sense, I even tried setting it so the monitor can't go idle, and it still shuts off. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Sounds like a bad controller in the monitor itself. Not too much you can do about that besides take it in. Before you do though, try a different video card just to make sure it's not a problem with that.

I updated the drivers from 77.77 to 78.01, nothing changed. I even checked in the power control for my monitor if it was set to ever turn off, and it was set to never turn off or go idle or anything, so I don't understand. Anyone else got some suggestions?

AAHAHAHAH! Not to laugh because I know EXACTLY how you feel. Happened with my PC...whenever I would start gaming and stuff...I even switched video cards...never solved the problem. :( Mine wouldn't restart it would just go into idle mode as if the computer hadn't been touched in like an hour.

Check>>>
hibernate
standby
These settings run independant of the vid card controls. On the window where you set the screen savers click on the power button and check the setting for screen and hard drives to shut off. Check the hibernation and advanced tabs. Keep rooting around. It's something that has been changed by a program or a bug.

Yeah seti, I dunno if I made an edit or another post saying I checked it, but well in case I did and you didn't read it, I did check that stuff. I went into the power control thing and checked everything like making sur eit wasn't set to ever turn off and what not. I'll check again though. And to dishdog, my monitor didn't come with a driver.

edit: Checked the Monitor Power again and everything looks fine. In the Power Schemes tab I selected Always On like before, and congifured the settings for the scheme to never turn off the monitor, never turn off the hard disks, and never let the system standby. I also went into the hibernation tab and made sure it wasn't enabled and it wasn't. I have no idea what the problem could be, it just doesn't make sense. The monitor is really old though, like maybe 5 years old, don't remember. Maybe it really is going out, who knows....

Back
Top Bottom