oops...

mark thorpe

Golden Master
Last night my laptop charger blew up... it started sparking, and let off a load of fumes (burning rubber). the charger is dead, and ive ordered a new one, but just wondering, could this have damaged my laptop?

i *think* it must have been a power surge or something, it was working fine one minuite, and the next it was sparking, dunno what happened to it... ive got a new one on order (hopefullly) but it was pretty freaky, i just saw a load of fumes coming from the end of the charger, and when i took it out a load of sparks, then i isolated it, and unplugged it, so i stopped the power supply, my question is, how much, if any, would it have done to my laptop??

Well. Have you turned that laptop on? I think something in it may have fried. Although I could be wrong. But I mean if the charger went out...who's to say the computer didn't decide to go POP as well...?

The laptop still works fine, i carried on using it untill the battery level got low, there doesnt seem to be any problems, but ill probably find out if there is when i next put it onto charge...

Thanks! just wanted to make sure... im not going out and spending another grand and a half on a new laptop... lol only had this one for 6 months...

thanks again for your help...

I agree with what I said before. I found no comments that would suggest that anything happened to your lap. :>)

yeah, it's most likely that the charger just blew up, probably not a power surge. the only thing that would do is stop the current going to the laptop battery, that wouldn't damage it.

Chargers can fry when you least expect it. I tried one of them on an old AST Lappy...it was very old... and the charger was actually frying, but it was frying the lappy...you could see sparks, flames, extreme heat and smell coming out of it...

Back
Top Bottom