video card and power supply choices.

Feircepc

Daemon Poster
im looking to purchase a new video card and i need one that supports dual monitors and has a regular monitor input. it can either be pci or agp 8x i prefer pci though but there are more selevtions in agp. i prefer 256 but i dont know any good companys. all i know is evga which i have on my gaming computers are good and so is xfx does anyone has suggestions on what kind of vid card?

also i need a new power supply the one on my dad to day pc is at 250 watts and i want to up it to like 450 just so it can run all the hardware with excess power. when i talked to a compaq assistant about my pc he said i could not change the power supply on it because it was different. anyone know if its true? i have a asus salmon k-8 board.

Well depends what that computer is going to be used for.

So if it's just for internet browsing etc then a simple GeForce fx5200 will be fine. If u play games or do other stuff that requires a fairly good vid card then I'd suggest a 6600GT or if u have the money to spend then something from the 6800 series or the 7800GTX.

And as for the PSU some companies make it so that it's not easy to change. But a little work with a hammer and u should get it out of there. :)

so how would i go about hammering lol. well i was just gonna play like wolfenstein wish just needs like a 16mb 3d graphics card but i want it to last. i only am going to spend like maybe 200 bucks for graphics card and psu so im not sure.

Buy a 9250. Ok for gaming, although not to sure about dual monitor support, but I do knwo that it will run off 2X/4X/8X. I have the card so I knwo what it can do. Although I'm getting my X700 on Thursday. w00t!!!

But if you just want dual monitor support just grab two of a PCI verison of Radeon 8500 and presto you have an OK gaming card, because for some odd reason it runs Battlefield 2, but a 9250 won't...Not to mention since it's in PCI you can put one in each PCI slot and be good to go!

As for the power supply thing. I think it's complete BS that you can't change a power supply. Good ol' hammer and some elbow grease should get that sucker out of there!

I would go with that card. Much better then my suggested 9250. But I have heard that that card has a few problems, can't remember what the problems were, but I know it had some...So be caustious.

Back
Top Bottom