I'm lost and outdated on processors...

iflabs

Baseband Member
So what's happening with new processors these days? I found out that my friend has a new Pentium D which I don't know what the heck it means. I'm used to measuring processors with their clock speed, i.e. Pentium 2.8ghz, AMD 3200. Apparently the Pentium D neither increased in clock speed, so what makes it better? What about AMD? Where are they going with their processors?

If you look around in here, you'll find tons of info. Mainly the 64-bit CPUs and dual cores are the mainstream CPUs between Intel and AMD. Intel with their current Pnetium D dual core support and AMD with their lines of Athlon 64 X2 dual cores.

The Pentium D is Intel's dual-core line. Intel doesn't even label their processors by clock speed anymore...at least not with the Prescott cores. The normal 32-bit Pentium 4's are the 5xx series, the 64-bit versions are the 6xx series and the dual-core versions (Pentium D) are the 8xx series. The Pentium M is the 7xx series.

alvino said:
The Pentium D is Intel's dual-core line. Intel doesn't even label their processors by clock speed anymore...at least not with the Prescott cores. The normal 32-bit Pentium 4's are the 5xx series, the 64-bit versions are the 6xx series and the dual-core versions (Pentium D) are the 8xx series. The Pentium M is the 7xx series.

So what does that mean? Is one better than the other?

Not exactly. It's just way of labeling them. The 5xx and 6xx series are pretty much the same, except for the fact that one is 32-bit and the other is 64-bit.

Back
Top Bottom