Question on running 2 monitors.

NLAlston1

Baseband Member
Hi,

I am very interested in running a dual-monitor setup on my computer, and recently purchased a Radion 9250 (I believe it was) dual-monitor support video card. My main monitor is a flat-screen (TFT?) unit, and the other is a CRT. As such, I had to also purchase one of those converter job-a-doos by which to fit the conventional monitor connection. My main interest was in having the ability to move certain window components of my software sequencing program to the other monitor, so that I might be able to view two different screens at the same time. But, for reason, I could not. There was also the problem of one monitor's display being delayed about 4-5 seconds behind the other, and then there were times when one monitor would give a click sound - black out for a second, or two, and then reinstate itself. At other times, one monitor (most often the primary one) would just black out all together. Needless to say, I returned the card. But I would really like to be able to do as desired, and now wonder if the problems I experienced had anything to do with my using two different types of monitors. If someone has any ideas on this matter, please share them with me.

Also, my computer's onboard video card is integrated, and I assumed that the installation of another would disable the integrated one on its own. I do recall reading, in the documentation for that Radion card, that some integrated video cards had to be physically disabled by means of switching its 'jumper' position, and they suggested check one's computer documentation for a "How to" regarding that. But I don't know where my documentation is, at the moment, and wonder if that might have been the problem. Please let me know, as this is very important to me.

And thanks, in advance.

Usually, with a dual monitor vid. card, all you have to do is right-click on your desktop, go to advanced or settings, the last one tab on that properties box. Then go to the two boxes that are displayed. Then click on the box that says "2" on it and then check the box that says "enable this monitor" or "extend my desktop onto this monitor." You should then see your desktop onto that monitor, considering that you have the connections all good, you have an extended desktop... or did I miss your point?

jac006 said:
Usually, with a dual monitor vid. card, all you have to do is right-click on your desktop, go to advanced or settings, the last one tab on that properties box. Then go to the two boxes that are displayed. Then click on the box that says "2" on it and then check the box that says "enable this monitor" or "extend my desktop onto this monitor." You should then see your desktop onto that monitor, considering that you have the connections all good, you have an extended desktop... or did I miss your point?

Thanks for responding. Yes, I did do as you have suggested, but still wasn't able to move anything beyond the first monitor. Then, too, my other concern was over the other behaviors mentioned in my initial post. I had tried different screen resolutions, and everything else that I could think of. But nothing would serve to bring about a favorable end.

and yes (sorry for double post)(in a rush) installing a vid. card atuomatically disables the integrated, well, usually.. If it doesn't, you can always go into BIOS and disable it there. But either way, yeah.

NLAlston said:
Thanks for responding. Yes, I did do as you have suggested, but still wasn't able to move anything beyond the first monitor. Then, too, my other concern was over the other behaviors mentioned in my initial post. I had tried different screen resolutions, and everything else that I could think of. But nothing would serve to bring about a favorable end.

You sure you clicked on, "extend my desktop onto this monitor" and "enable this monitor" and all that? because it should work. If the vid. card is new, you shouldn't have a problem with that. If you're using mulitple monitors, and it's still not working, I don't think it's a monitor problem with the monitors either. It's a windows problem, I guess. Really weird. For what I know, plugging your monitor into the two ports, vga or whatever you have for them, going to display properties and enabling the second monitor, and extending your desktop onto and then making the resolution fit, and positioning the screen where the real screen is, should work.

Back
Top Bottom