How do i lower the RPM of my cpu fan?

allenn812

Daemon Poster
Its making way to much noise, and if i slow it down to like 4000 RPM with my finger the noise it will stop, its running at around 5000 RPM right now. So i how do i keep it at 4000RPM and make it not go any higher than that?

yeah...stopping it with your finger is not a good thing to do...don't do that anymore.
the only way I can see to do that, is to hook it up to a fan controller which can be found on newegg or tigerdirect. it regulates the voltage of the fan to make it go faster or slower

Is it a copper fan? Those things are like jet engines inside your computer. Maybe going out and buying a new fan could do the job?

If it's plugged in to the motherboard it's keeping it reved up cause the cpu chip is hot. It's common for cpu fans to run that fast. But the noise will drive you nuts. Couple of things you can do.
Try setting the case down on the floor and up under your desk. Or shop for a fan that runs as quick but with a little less noise.
Me personally I'd be looking at why the cpu is running so hot...

Yeah, make sure your temps are okay before messing with the RPM. It might be going that fast for a reason.

Well heres the story on how it started to get so loud, i was to tired to write this in my original post. Ok, well like a week ago every once in a while my comp would start making a like a really fast clicking noise (kinda like when you put cards in the spokes of your bike) and it was really annoying. So i opened up my case, and looked at the cpu fan, one of the (hmmm, i just realized i have no idea what there called....) like the little flat arm that make the air move in the fan, lmao how horrible of a discription....... ok back to the story, well one of those was slightly riped and it was slighty extended and hitting the sides. So i put some glue on it and it dident make the noise for a couple a days. Then it started again, and i looked again and the glue came off. So i was like "Ugghhhhhhh" so i just ripped that one arm off. (stupid me) Well what im thinking is is that since ones missing its making up for it by working harder, thus making more noise. So thats why i want to turn it down.

By the way cpu was running never over 90F before, its still never over 90F now. Its at 84F right now.

What cpu chip you have? Is it the stock fan that comes with the cpu chip?
And by taking off a fan blade you have thrown the fan out of balance and reduced the air flow. The fan being out of balance will in time distroy the bearing on the shaft and kill the fan.

Back
Top Bottom