Case Mods

Zaki

Daemon Poster
I plan to experiment on case mods like painting/painting pictures/stickers/cut-outs and so on.
I have a few questions:
Where can I buy cheap used/new barebone cases?
What sort of paints have worked out for you guys?
What type of tools are must-haves and NO-NOs?

thanks

how much can i use the dremel, i mean can i dray on top of the metal case, or can i take a flat sheet of metal and use the dremel to cut out a sophisticated shape other than a square?

Use the dremel if you're going to add a side window, then use a side window kit (they come in various shapes, sizes and colors) and install it. I've never tried it, but I remember reading about doing a simple case mod in PC Modder before.

make sure to post pics when ur done. Sounds like an interesting project. I would just make sure you dont crack it. That would be my prob.

Here are the tools:

Car primer for painting
Duct tape, for patching some parts
Sanding paper, to sand your box
Jigsaw cutter, if you want to inplant a window
Drill, if you plan to use a system fan on your door
Patience. Always wait
Work inside, the humidity outside makes the box sticky instead of drying.

Being too close of your door while spraying is a NO NO. Spray when you are at least a foot away from your part to paint. 1 foot = 30CM

DO NOT use acrylic paint

If you want to mod the PC to use a window in front f the case, You will dee to buy a few parts before you get in there.

To use Neons in your PC, Make sure that you place them well and screw them tight so you won't have trouble. If you want neons, adding a Side panel window would be good

when I painted mine, I used duplicolor paint, it's automotive paint and it worked great.
wetsand your case with 1000 grit sandpaper first to get it nice and flat. make sure you sand lightly so as not to go through the existing paint to the metal.
prime it then wetsand again. prime again.
apply your colors, paint all your parts at the same time in a room with little dust and humidity. If you are doing it in a garage make sure you sweep the floor, and try wetting down the floor to keep any remaining dust down. don't want anything getting in that nice paint.
after the color is applied and has dried for at least 15 mins...apply clearcoat to all the parts...as many coats as you like. trust me, it will make things look a lot better, and if you want to make it look even better when it's all done, get some light rubbing compound and rub all the parts out. it will make them shine like crazy.
make sure that when you paint...you take EVERYTHING off or out of the case that isn't going to be painted, motherboard, psu, all hd's...everything! you don't want to get paint on that stuff. make sure you tape everything up good so that no overspray gets where there isn't supposed to be paint...makes for a messy job.
make sure it's at least 70 degrees F outside with low humidity, helps the paint dry better. and make sure that all the parts are completely dry before you reassemble them, I'd let them dry for at least a few days before I'd reassemble them.
if you use a dremel to cut a window in the side, or to cut anything else like a hole in the top for a fan, make sure you practice a little before you do it, when I did it, I had some metal that was about as thick as my computer case and I could practice before I did it for real on my computer case, you don't want to screw something like that up because once you cut it, it's for good (unless you have a welder or something...lol)
if you want to do graphics of some kind, you can buy vinyl overlays, or you can just cut some out yourself from vinyl sheets.

here are some pics of my mod job.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/da_ma...//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/da_man9769/my_photos
some of the pics are crappy...sorry for that....crappy camera.

www.metku.net
Hotlinking is messed up for some reason. Just type in the addy to the address line.
Now you wanna see some rightous mods, go check that out...

Back
Top Bottom