laptop keeps restarting

sou

Solid State Member
Ive read a couple of posts on this but none helped me. I have a compaq laptop and it keeps restarting over and over again, before the desktop can load. ive tried to start it on safe mode and e.t.c but no luck. Any ideas on what i can do to fix it?

Welcome to the forums first of all.

Hmm, So, something must be wrong with your Windows installation i'd say. By any chance does your laptop have a recovery by pressing a certain button on the keyboard to access a formatting tool to reset the computer and make a new Windows installation?

I'm afraid if it did though, you'd lose all the data on the laptop you had :(

I'm sure there is a way to back it up though, but I just can't think of any at the moment if you did have important data on it.

Its a very difficult situation. With a PC, it would be rather simple as you'd just fit a new hard drive in with Windows and copy everything over. With a Laptop, you don't really have that freedom.

nope laptop doesn't have recovery button on keyboard. Laptop doesn't get past the Windows startup logo, so dont know how i can recover without having access to desktop. Although want to leave recovery as a final resort.

Hmm.

What I meant was a special key, which may be F10 for example on the keyboard, depending on the Laptop manufacturer. Many tend to place a recovery program on the hard drive which is nothing to do with Windows, and can fix many problems your Laptop is having.

I'm afraid though, it seems your Windows installation is completly bust, as it may have lost a file, and is just continually resetting since it can't find it.

The only thing I can suggest is a full format and start over, but I don't really want to recommend that if your going to lose files in the process.

I'm sure someone will think of a way that might help you though.
We need some way of getting data off you want, while not in Windows and copying to DVD or CD or another device.

I know the special key your talking about, my laptop doesnt have it, i can only recover with CDs. Thanx for your help though, i'll keep checking the forum for new posts.

that happened with my pc and i just had to reformat the hardrive. I got all my info by using it as a slave but that doesnt sound like its gonna work.

Wonder why don't they put two HD bays in a laptop. My old HP 486 used to have two

I'm thinking a bad psu or something like that? but I guess it's a hd issue.

If you put your XP cd in the drive can't you select a repair option from there??? Is there anyway you can do a restore from the XP disc??

I've never had to do this, but I'm just thinking of options.

Have you installed anything recently either software or hardware that could have caused this to happen?

I had this happen recently when I tried to install a HP printer onto my HP Compaq laptop and upon reboot it just kept restarting. Luckily I could get into safe mode to do a restore.

Thanx for the posts but don't think any help, since i dont have an xp cd, just the recovery cd's and i really dont want to recover before backing up my files. Just before it happened i was updating my windows with automatic update.. so that could be it?!

Back
Top Bottom