6600 gt 128mb or 256mb ??

Yeah since when is there a 256MB card? The only one I've ever seen is the AGP version, but as for PCI-E, it only comes in 128.

well there was a review of the 256 where a guy said that nvidia didnt want a 256 version made, so there isnt supposed to be a 256.

mr.monger said:
well there was a review of the 256 where a guy said that nvidia didnt want a 256 version made, so there isnt supposed to be a 256.

But there is!

And the 256mb version is not so expensive compared to the 128mb version, only a small difference in price. So yeah, go with the 256mb version.

Yeah, I think you should.

Can't third party companies add to the card in some way though? Because every card is somewhat different. Maybe XFX decided to add another 128mb of RAM to help.

Yet, if you have PCI-E and not AGP, this card would be pretty useless anyway :p

It's usually up to the manufacturer to decide whether it's a good choice or not. nVIDIA simply licenses the 6600 GT design to other companies like BFG Tech, MSI, ASUS etc. It's up to those companies to decide what to add. That's why you never seen nVIDIA come out with their own cards like ATI does. For example, ASUS makes some really nice cards, they're expensive, but they have lots of features and additional things that other companies don't have. I was only recently with the G70 that nVIDIA decided to manufacture it themselves and just sell it to companies to put their stickers and labels on it. That's why most of the 7800 GTX's has that heatsink with the nVIDIA Eye logo on it.

Yeah, so that brings to my mind why no other companies decided to make 6600GT's in 256mb models...

Cost? Practicality? Popularity? I don't know, but there's usually always a reason.

Also, be reminded that a 256MB Video card has a higher processor than a 128MB, but there's not that much difference. But, it will always be better

Back
Top Bottom