Video card help

EricM

Daemon Poster
I am going to build a computer and I know have moved on from CPU to video cards. What would be a good video card? Would 128mb be good? I am looking at this onehttp://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1118390&CatId=1839 and if i can save enough I may want to take advantage of SLI. What other video cards would be good?

Yes, 128MB would be good. For mainstream video cards, you'll want to choose the Nvidia Geforce 6600GT, 6800GT, or even the powerhouse 7800GTX (my personal favorite even though it cost up the ying yang).

They all support SLi and you will need to buy two exact same video cards to engage them into dual GPU sharing mode.

Would a 256mb card be better than two 128mb cards running on sli? What are some good brands?

It all depends what you are going to use.

A 256MB could be better than two 128MB SLI, but if you use the 6600GT 256MB instead of two 128MB, the two 128MB may perform faster because of the Processor that processes the FPS, Memory, etc.

I just found out about Crossfire. Is that the same as SLI? If so which is better? And does the powersupply need to be SLI certified in order for everything to work? And what are some very good graphics card companies?

EricM said:
I just found out about Crossfire. Is that the same as SLI? If so which is better? And does the powersupply need to be SLI certified in order for everything to work? And what are some very good graphics card companies?

Well crossfire is said to take more advantage of the cards (if u have for example 2x 7800GTX in SLI it's not going to perform like it should, it's going to give u the performance of maybe 1.7x the amount that one 7800GTX gives u) it's said that with crossfire the loss of performance is not going to be as big as with SLI.

Back
Top Bottom