Got news on the Pentium 8

well we should keep in mind that that article is 3 years old.

And I gues that it's the same with the Pentium V thread which u posted?

Well I doubt that. I believe that there will never be a pentium 10. Unless they skip from 4 to 10 then maybe. I'm guessing they won't realease more than a few new single core processors.

I don't even know if they will even call it a Pentium processor still. By 2010, we probably won't even recognize the CPU anymore with the way they're changing.

They're coming out with a new Pentium soon (Q3-Q4 2006). It's called the Conroe core, code-named "Allendale". It's pretty nice...supposed to be based off of the Pentium M architecture and concept, which means you get lots of great performance while using little power. It's manufactured with the 65nm process and supports the EM64T instruction set, which means it should be fully 64-bit, just like the Athlon 64 etc.

The Conroe architecture will have 3 variants:
- Merom for mobile solutions
- Conroe for desktops
- Woodcrest for servers (Expect to release in 2007)

It is the 8th generation x86 microprocessor developed by Intel and their first all new CPU design since the NetBurst architecture in 2000. There will be 14 data pipelines, a far cry from the Prescott's 31 pipelines. It's a dual-core design with linked L1 cache and shared L2 cache (expect 4-8mb of L2 Cache).

The FSB (Front Side Bus) is targeted as the following:

Woodcrest - 1333mhz
Merom - 1066mhz
Conroe - 1066mhz (although it might be 1333mhz)

Unfortunately, the FSB is the weak link in the new architecture, as it uses the infrastructure installed in the Pentium 4 Era which cannot handle the full bandwidth of dual-channel DDR2 SDRAM. Floating point performance is expected to be weaker than that of the Athlon 64/Opteron series of processors due to the shorter pipeline, but other operations are predicted to be much faster, around 30% clock per clock over Netburst.

Power consumption will be extremely low- average energy consumption will be in the 1-2w range. The following TDPs (Thermal Design Point) are pretty good:

Conroe - 65w TDP
Woodcrest - 80w TDP
Merom - 35w (standard) & 5w for ULV (Ultra Low Voltage) versions

As you can see, Intel has taken up the new philosophy, "Performance per Watt". I'm glad they finally realize how hot and power consuming the goddamn Prescott is...

finally intel is coming with something amd was owning them for too long lol. amd probaly still willl thoug because obviously thyere re going to release something to compete with them.

Maybe. Keep in mind that Intel still has the mobile market. The Yonah and Merom look very promising (0.5w is awesome!) :D

Back
Top Bottom