Literacy in schools & Colleges

stop argueing, i agree with maurice on this one, there is a long list of people that have been banned, about three pages, so now, alvinos still here, lets make the most of life and all stop argueing and be friends, im sure this should be locked but i cant lock threads in this forum, although being out of topic should go back or i am sure that this thread will get locked, i know the rules, so while were all here just all please calm down,

Back on topic,

Mark, thanks for that, i dont want to be one of the supposed cool people cus ill b cool when everyone wants the answers off me becuase they cant be bothered to work..lol

I guess all this could be down to technology, since the reason why kids have learnt short and are getting used to using it more is because of mobile phones, and MSN, AOL, etc. It is around more now, and kids see it every day.

I, for one didn't exactly grow up with a PC, and so didn't know of MSN, or AIM, or any of them. They came much later on after getting a PC when I was around 11 for the first time.

I also never had a mobile until the age of 14 or so, and before then, they weren't considered a fashion statement so no one carried one around. They were considered too big to be street wise.

Anyway, what this little essay is coming down to is that many more people are using this type of technology at a younger age, and are finding it much harder to stick to standard text and speech when they have learnt short, and so, use that alot more.

That is the problem I think, and I, on MSN, do speak in short, yes. Yet, in schools, etc, and talking to people, I use full words, and proper grammer, so I can switch between the two when I please.

That is the difference.

So the only reason people are noticing it in the young now, is because when I was young, it wasn't around. Get me? So, it is more around now, for youngsters to latch onto now, and use.

That is my thoughts on why it is occuring more now.
I am against it in written documents and anything proper, yet, on MSN, AOL, I coudln't care less what people use as long as I understand them, and I have learnt to understand them. In schools, etc, it shouldn't be allowed no.

Also in this forum, I prefer to use full as it shows your professional, etc.

So if young people are now growing up with this type of technology, it is more likely that they are going to grow up to use it more than I or some other people my age would.

Kage said:
I guess all this could be down to technology, since the reason why kids have learnt short and are getting used to using it more is because of mobile phones, and MSN, AOL, etc. It is around more now, and kids see it every day.

I, for one didn't exactly grow up with a PC, and so didn't know of MSN, or AIM, or any of them. They came much later on after getting a PC when I was around 11 for the first time.

I also never had a mobile until the age of 14 or so, and before then, they weren't considered a fashion statement so no one carried one around. They were considered too big to be street wise.

Anyway, what this little essay is coming down to is that many more people are using this type of technology at a younger age, and are finding it much harder to stick to standard text and speech when they have learnt short, and so, use that alot more.

That is the problem I think, and I, on MSN, do speak in short, yes. Yet, in schools, etc, and talking to people, I use full words, and proper grammer, so I can switch between the two when I please.

That is the difference.

So the only reason people are noticing it in the young now, is because when I was young, it wasn't around. Get me? So, it is more around now, for youngsters to latch onto now, and use.

I am against it in written documents and anything proper, yet, on MSN, AOL, I coudln't care less what people use as long as I understand them, and I have learnt to understand them. In schools, etc, it shouldn't be allowed no.

So if young people are now growing up with this type of technology, it is more likely that they are going to grow up to use it more than I or some other people my age would.

WEll said... which is also why I made that thread... the one about before you post... yeah...

Kage said:

That is the difference.

Nicely put there :)
I couldn't agree more that it has indeed been caused by the variety of technology almost spawning every second around the world, the next generation will almost be RELYING on computers, and who's to say what the next generation will do with computers as they become much more advanced ? As for the grammar and punctuation, i would prefer full words and proper sentences, both at school and on internet activities such as instant messaging and emails but i have learnt how to deal with it ... although i would rather proper communication compared to shortened words such as netiquette ...

Yeah, its true that people are getting more reliant on technology, and in a way, even though I love it...it sort of scares me some what.

Back
Top Bottom