Who knows about different Hard Drives?

Btw, thanks for letting me know what the greyed out text is. Strange b/c it's hard to read, but at least I know now :)

Thanks

Michelle

Just highlight the text with your mouse, that's what I do.

Another noob question while I'm at it. If you get a newer Mobo that supports SATA 2, will it also still support the IDE interface for older drives or does it depend on the board? I don't want to have to buy new drives when I upgrade.

Dave says it has smaller IDE capabilities.

He says those MBs are going to be obsolete as of Christmas.

Actually he was going to go out & buy me a whole new system, but the place that has the cheapest prices was sold out. :(

Michelle

Hehe, okay, but same principle.

WHAT TO DO:

To make the second one your primary, you'll simply have to install Windows on it after putting it as the Master drive, and after thats done, Place the drive you want to replace into Slave mode, and then drag all the files off you want from that smaller drive to the bigger drive.

I'm afraid without using a program like Norton Ghost, you won't be able to copy it all off and then dump the same installation on the new one, leaving alot more room.
If you wanted to get that though, this could be done.

The way I'm saying is easier though in terms of how it works.
Just copy over what you need which shouldn't take too long, and it'd give you a fresh installation of Windows too, rather than Ghost which would simply ghost the image of whats previously there :)

NORTON GHOST:

Ghost is great though for backing up, and if you can get hold of that anyway, you could on a few DVD's using compression back up your entire drive.

When things then go wrong, you simply load the Ghost program up, and put the DVD's in order into the drive to restore back your hard drive to how it was previously.
This is the same way as some manufacturers hard drives work when they place a second partition into the C drive, yet they of course use there own software.

I hope this helps :)

Use partition magic, or partition commander to resize the partitions, (then you don't need to reformat, and you don't need to buy another disk).

Ah yeah, thats a point, but it depends how big that drive is in the first place. But yeah, Partition Magic would definietly resize it.

How big is that drive you have? If the partition didn't exist?

Ok, this will be my last post on this board, as I asked to be removed after being treated with total disrespect by a moderator. I don't like being threatened.

David L is still a very nice guy & it's a shame I won't be speaking to him again.

Anyway, on to biz.

We didn't end up getting a new system b/c it was too expensive & they didn't have any stock. (go figure LOL, everyone is buying new hardware these days)

He stayed up all night researching.

We did get partition magic, but when he increased C, it ended up screwing everything up. Lost programs, lost images, lost desktop icons, new drives where the info was installed so programs don't work b/c they are pointing to the wrong folders etc.

I'm not a happy camper, but he's coming home right now to see what can be done to rectify the issue.

Thanks for all your help :) & all the best!

Michelle

Space_Coyote, about ur Q on newer mobo's and older drives. Most mobo's out there right now support both SATA and IDE drives. When u buy a new mobo, jsut look at the specs. My mobo supports 4 IDE drives and 4 SATA drives. I had (on my old A8n SLI deluxe mobo that died) 1 SATA (primary master), 1 DVDRW (secondary master) and 1 IDE (secondary slave). IDE technology isnt dead yet so most manufactures build support for it. Plus i am sure u would be able to buy a pci card that you could just add in anyways, worst case scenario.

Back
Top Bottom