motherboard

Hmm, well the AMD 64 3000+ Venice core would be a great addition to that motherboard. It wouldn't set you back alot, but its a solid performer and can be overclocked alot if you wanted it to be.

I have a AMD 64 3500+ but i WISH that I went for the AMD 64 3000+ as I wouldn't have seen much difference, and then overclocked it once I had the chance. If I did that, I would have been able to afford a better video card over my previous 9800Pro and would have got a PCI-E motherboard too...

Its soley up to you though. I mean if you had more money, you could go for the new X2's with dual cores for extra speed, but you'd need alot of money to do so... actually...I think you might need two CPU spaces on the motherboard to do that anyway...I'm not sure...

Anyhow, if you had money then, you could go for the higher end CPU's like the FX's yet, you don't really need all that performance, and my computers great for doing what I do, and I do alot of editing, and 3D work and also multitask rather alot to.

So basically, its up to you :p
Just give yourself a price range and aim for it. Anything from the AMD 64 3000+ up will be great for the system.

I do advise you go for a 64 bit Venice core though since you'll get alot of performance from them, and your PC will be ready for when 64 bit applications come off the market.

Kewl, that seems great, and if its what you want, go for it.

If you are prepared to overclock though, and everything in your system likes the sound of an overclock, then it is possible with adequate cooling to get any AMD Athon 64 processors to around a 2.6ghz running speed.

So with good cooling (not standard) and with good RAM, I've heard of the 3000+ getting from 1.8ghz running speed, to 2.6ghz running speed. Sounds good huh? As 2.6 seems the max of the 64bit cores.
I would wonder if that would lower the use of that processor though.

You could also do the same with the 3200+, and 3500+ and so on.

If your not prepared to overclock that much though (i'm just saying all these to say) then getting a processor pre-built to the speed you want is fine without having to worry about damaging anything and so the warranty also.

I hope this helps

yeah so looks like i got every thing figured out, just need to find out where to buy bridge. As for overclocking the amd, it probably wont happen for a little while. Iv never overclocked anything before so i think what im gunna do is find a cheap MB that can support the intel i have and overclock it to get the feeling for it.

Yeah, I haven't overclocked my processor much to tell the truth, but I may have a go once I get better cooling and such.

I'll look for the bridge:

Where abouts do you live? UK, or US?

Hmm, we may have hit a stone floor here:

http://www.albatron.com.tw/english/it/vga/atop_page.asp

It says basically that the one they've built only allows a list of AGP Nvidia cards to work in a PCI-E system and not all cards:

FX5200 Series
MX4000 Series
FX5700LE Series
AGP6200 Series
FX5700 Series
FX5900XT Series
6800 Series

and so... I'm afraid a ATI card wouldn't work on theres at all. I'll search for a new one.

Hmm, and whats worse, ATI have brought out one:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21397

Yet they've only done it because they say that AGP is still big on the market, and so have only released a chip to allow PCI-E to go to an AGP board, but not the other way round (This may become incompable in the future probably when they get alot different from one another) and so I'm afraid, there doesn't seem to be one that I can find that'll let you play that 9800PRO on a PCI-E board yet :(

Why? I don't know...Thats just mad...

Yeah iv been looking around too and it looks like the bridges to allow AGP cards to work on a PCIe board are still in development

Well that Albertron one is available but only for some Nvidia cards. And ATI don't seem to be bothered with doing the same thing, as they don't think theres any point.

Well thats fair enough, but it gets you rather stuck. I'm sorry about that.

I wouldn't advise you in any case to go for an AGP board and get a bridge chip to allow you to play PCI-E cards on AGP motherboards anyway... I doubt that'll work for very long, and might even slow the cards down.

Back
Top Bottom