trying to install linux...help!!

gaming_freak said:
just did it and it never asks me to close it and theres no button to do it so maybe im using the wrong button in nero i just used "burn image to disk" but theres another button that says "make udf/iso cd" could it be that one instead?
Now it appears you have done this bit...

Assuming you have Nero. Go to Recorder / Burn Image. Browse to locate your Linux Distro format .iso KNOPPIX_V3.9-2005-05-27-EN.iso click on this name to select it and burn it onto a CD. There is nothing hard in this.

burn_iso_01.jpg

I used the Knoppix iso as a example...

burn_iso_02.jpg

It's not called close a disk in Nero it's called finalize. Put a tick in the Finalize CD box

nero.jpg

Now if you have done all of this correctly, the Linux cd will boot on start up. If it does not the .iso file is corrupt and you will have to download it again. Then follow all the steps to burn it again.

thx wombat i burnt the disks but my comp still wont boot off them could it be because i downloaded the 64 bit version? should i try the 32 bit version?

gaming_freak said:
thx wombat i burnt the disks but my comp still wont boot off them could it be because i downloaded the 64 bit version? should i try the 32 bit version?

I still think you have a corrupt .iso. You can try the 32 bit version if you want. It took me two goes to get a decent download of the 64 bit SUSE Linux because the first was corrupt.

Have you checked the SHA1 sums ? That will check if it is indeed corrupted or not ...

yup im sure i set it to that in the bios and the disk drive starts up before it goes into windows but i still get nothing i guess im gona have to try downloading it again

For games, there are not a real diversity for Linux, so you'll probably have to dual boot and then use windows for games ...
For MSN, an instant messaging client is usually included such as the GAIM one, which also servers, AIM, ICQ, Yahoo and a host of others, there will also be IRC program as well
Red Hat i would not recommend ... it is mainly used for buisness purposes, you could try suse or slackware for general users ... maybe even ubuntu :)

There are a few options for games. You can get WINE which is free(both speech and beer), but the success rate is not high. Or you could get Cedega which is basically WINE optimized for gaming and with DX9 support. The success rate for this is pretty good but it requires a paid subscription.

Back
Top Bottom