if AMD are so good why...

I just go with whatever chip manufacturer makes the best producing CPU. If Intel can make their new CPUs better than AMD, I will be tempted into building an Intel machine. For now, I see no reason to switch over to Intel. The AMD Athlon X2 is a superior chip than Intel P4 EE or their Pentium D lines.

Dishdog said:
^^If AMD's are so much better then intels then why would companies care if intel would stop selling to them?

thats a good question. Let's look at it this way. Most people who use computers (not trying to be offensive in anyway) are pretty much completly ignorant of whats going on inside their computer, and the parts. Ask a person who doesn't know whats going on inside their computer to tell you what a processor connects to and they probably won't even know, ask the same person to name a company that makes processors, and they'll probably say intel, or maybe not know. The point being Intel is much more well known, much better advertised, and is dominant right now. If all a sudden a company such as dell stopped using Intel, people would be like, "omg wtf, no more intel? amd? Whats amd? I'll just buy gateway."

thats why :D.

Intel is and has been a household name for years. They're literally the pioneers of processors.

Most people really don't care what they have for a computer, just as long as it gets the work done and is fast enough for games. Another big thing for Intel is their clock speeds. When people look for the best things, they usually judge it on speed or how powerful it is. When you compare a Pentium 4 3.6ghz to a Athlon 64 2.4ghz, which one SOUNDS more powerful? To most people, bigger is usually better.

Another thing is that A LOT of people don't understand how AMD chips work, so they naturally think that they're slower because they run at 2.4ghz or whatnot.

I dont understand how they work, I know they are better, but I never understood it, how can a 2.4 be better than a 3.6?

Faster fsb, on-die memory controller, 64bit technology, doesn't overheat as much... yeah, you get the picture.

look at it this way, when you buy a gfx card, you dont just look at the gfx memory. i think theres a 6600gt with 512 mb of memory, but im sure most of you would rather have a 7800gtx with 256 mb of memory. intel has dug into peoples mind that processors are meausred in clock speed, while in truth other things are important too, like pipelines, microns, transistors, and obviously how many instructions it can do.

Also, Intel is a very well known name. I always thought that Intel was the one and only, even when I heard about AMD, at least until I researched them and found out. :p

Exactly... and for me... I always used intel. Even with my 3.2ghz that I had, I though I was king. But then I got my currecnt comp and man... was I wrong! :D

Back
Top Bottom