Stupid computer shuts down!!!

Run sfc /scannow. It could be as simple as some of the os files are corrupted. Normally the file protection system will replace bad files but sometimes the damage is too great and it fails.
Are you getting any SMART alerts? Make sure it's turned on in the bios.

I had the exact same issue when my broadband cable modem was hooked up via USB. The modem wasn't 100% compatible with WinXP, and it caused random restarts.

Go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced (tab)
Click Settings in the Startup and Recovery section, and uncheck the box marked "Automatically restart".

Instead of getting a reboot, you'll get a BSOD giving you information about the problem.

Any money it's drivers of some kind, possibly your modem if you're on broadband. Try connecting it up through a 10/100 Ethernet (NIC).

I don't know how your hardware's set up, but that's certainly a recipe for this kind of problem.

If it's a faulty PSU, though, you may not see the BSOD. Try it and see.

HTH,

malbuc87uk

Well before I started on this forum i did do SFC, but it didnt really fix anything. I'll try it again, maybe ill get lucky. And the automatic restart thingy i unchecked. *crosses fingers* hope this works

Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dang....still restarts. I did another SFC and i unchecked that automatically restarts button. Now when it wants to restart, it just gives THE BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH saying that the computer shut down to avoid critical damage. Then it goes on about what to do and all....then I still have to restart. So damn it...i guess ill try re-installing windows over my previous version. I wont lose any information on my hard drive right?

then if that doesnt work...ill just re-format my disk.

You guys got anymore tricks up your sleeves??

i didnt take the time to read all the posts but did this happen before sp2. because sp2 dosent like alotta computers. that could be ur problem. sorry if this was already mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom