Troubleshooting my new Laptop's resources...

cybershark5886

Baseband Member
I need a little help.

Unfortunately, although I know Windows 98 pretty well, I'm still trying to learn XP and I'm wondering how it handles memory and the processor. When I hit ctrl + alt + del to bring up the task manager it displays a percentage rate for each program taking up x amount of my processor's time/power. But does a program displayed in the task manager running at around 99% mean that my processor is maxing out, or is it just showing that 99% of the instructions running through the processor comes from that program, not necessarily implying any stress or effort on the processors part?

Mainly I want to know this to help demystify my new mobile Athlon 64 Notebook's functions, of which I am equally unaccustomed to Win XP (been using it for a total of 5 months now), because it lags under duress of certain graphically intensive games.

An interesting feature that makes it harder to figure out whether my processor is being taxed or not (as opposed to memory or video card) is Athlon 64's cool'n'quiet technology that cuts processor speed in half when no demanding applications are loaded, even when it's plugged in. I'm trying to figure out why my system seems a little slow when running games. I'm guessing that the culprit is my video card.

My laptop is a Compaq R4000 if you want to look up detailed specs. The basics consist of an Athlon 64 3200+ (I doubt that such a powerful procesor is slowing it down), 512 MB RAM (MemTurbo memory manager tells me that I usually have 100-200 MB free even when running big games - although on occasion I have seen it drop to 60), ATI Radeon Xpress 200M (looks fast but seems to be the culprit - why?), and a ATA/100, 5400 RPM 60 Gig HDD (No notebook that I'm aware of can support a 7200 RPM HDD, so I don't think that there is anything that I can do about that.)

I'd appreciate any help.

it would help if u got one more 512 or get two gigs of ram and then just get a labtop video card. which is wat most people do. and cool and quiet doesnt shut ur processor it shuts the fans at low so when u play games the computer pushes the fan to cool the processor being amds overheat a little easier than intels. and its just fans doesnt cut ur processor power or nething.

it would help if u got one more 512 or get two gigs of ram and then just get a labtop video card. which is wat most people do. and cool and quiet doesnt shut ur processor it shuts the fans at low so when u play games the computer pushes the fan to cool the processor being amds overheat a little easier than intels. and its just fans doesnt cut ur processor power or nething.

I beg to differ on that. I've run processor benchmarks from several different programs (to make sure that the info was correct) when my laptop was plugged in and doing small tasks (like installing a program) and the programs returned a clock rate of 997 MHz. Then I ran a game that required alot of the processors resources, I quickly alt + tab'd it and checked again and it returned a value of 2000MHz. In addition, one of the programs that I downloaded had a live, processor overclocking function running in windows, and I could run the value any where from 1GHz-2Ghz. Once I set it at 1500 MHz and it overrode the cool and quiet technology but the disadvantage is that it becomes your new max value (thus no jumping to 2GHz when it encountered more demanding processes). That wasn't satisfactory so I'm just trying to cope w/ it.

I looked around the net to figure out what the problem was, and on a few forums some people had encountered the problem with their 64-bit processors, and they attributed it to the cool'n'quiet technology. If there is a more logical explanation please tell me. But you were correct about the fan. But that's only one aspect of what cool'n'quiet does as far as I can tell.

In addition (replying to what you said about the vid card) how do I add a different video card to a laptop?

I've grown more accustomed to Xp by now, but I'd still be interested in what anyone has to say about the preformance of my laptop. This is still a topic of interest to me.

Back
Top Bottom