Gigabyte Motherboard Memory Issue

farlow

Beta member
The PC listed below works fine without error. It currently has (2) 512K chips in it. I wanted to upgrade it to 2 GB of RAM. When I add an additional (2) 512k of memory I get random memory dumps and page faults when using my applications or on boot up when loading drivers. As soon as I remove them everything works ok. I have tried two different memory brands. The first brand was Patriot Brand and second was Talent. The Talent seemed to work a little better, since I did not get as many errors and non on botoup. I can only guess the motherboard is not supporting the RAM. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

PROCESSOR Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz 800FBUS 512k HT Retail
MOTHERBOARD GIGABYTE 8IPE1000PRO (P4, FSB800, Intel 865PE, 8XAGP)
CASE Raidmax 868 ZMAX Black/Red w/Front USB Side Windows 420W PSU
COOLING 3 x Case Fans for Cooling (3 Total)
MEMORY 1024 MB (2 x 512) Dual Channel PC-3200 400MHz DDR Memory
HARD DRIVE -Bay 1- 120GB Maxtor Serial ATA 7200rpm 8MB Hard Drive
CDROM DRIVE -Bay 1- Lite On 16x Black DVD-ROM Drive
CDROM DRIVE -Bay 2- LITE ON 52X32X52X BLACK CD/CDRW DRIVE
3.5 INCH DRIVE -Bay 1- 3.5" 1.44 MB Mitsumi Internal Floppy Drive
VIDEO/GRAPHICS 128MB nVidia GeForceFX 7200
SOUND CL PCI Soundblaster Live 5.1, 32-bit, 256-voice
LAN/NETWORK CARD Integrated 10/100T Realtek High Speed Ethernet/Internet Adapter
USB PORTS 4 High Speed USB 2.0 Ports Integrated (2 in Front, 2 in Back)
FIREWIRE/1394 PORTS 1 x 1394/Firewire Port Integrated
PARALLEL/SERIAL PORTS 1 x Serial Port & 1 x Printer/Parallel Port Integrated
KEYBOARD Thermaltake XaserIII Office Keyboard & Optical Mouse (Black/Red)
OPERATING SYSTEM Microsoft Windows XP Home W/SP1A

Make sure you get the same type of memory as your original ones (same manufacturer). 2GB of RAM is nothing as most motherboards can support that much.

I had thought of that, but the place where I bought the computer from (Zuke) a year and a half ago could not supply me with the same brand. The Patriot memory they first gave me, I did remove the old memory and run only the Patriot memory. This caused the same type of issues and the Norton memory checker would not finish and the system would crash. I am yet to try the Talent memory in the PC by itself. The PC place tech support said to just return the memoy for a refund, since they have not seen this issue. Thanks.

What you can do try is to take out your 2 older memory and just install the 2 new memory that you have. See if your memory actually works or if its faulty. Try moving the RAM to different modules, even with the 4 that you have using different combinations. Maybe alternating your original one, then the Talent, then the original again, then the Talent.

I am go to try that this evening with the Talent memory and see if I can get further then when I tried with the Patriot memory. If it works that will be depressing since I would need to then buy more memory to replace the two I have to remove.

I tried the Talent memory alone in the box and it was not pretty. It dumped when loading up the drivers. I removed it and put back the old memory and everything is fine. The only name I can find on the old memroy is 'Samsung" written on the chips. I am going to see if I can find that same memory somewhere. I have also contacted Kingston since they say they can match their modules to specific mother boards.

I alos found a site 4allmemory that states that the motherboard I have will only take certain memory. They have a utility to run from the site to read the configuration to match up memroy modules to the ones I have. Of course I discovered the site from work and will now have to wait until later this evening to test it out.

Back
Top Bottom