AMD64 - why the fuss?

intels also are very high in temperature. its hard to over clock them too being its so hot the 200degrees or esle ur cooling would go insane and kablooy there goes ur pc. and plus amd way better for gaming and u would be ready for the age of 64bit programs.

Feircepc said:
intels also are very high in temperature. its hard to over clock them too being its so hot the 200degrees or esle ur cooling would go insane and kablooy there goes ur pc. and plus amd way better for gaming and u would be ready for the age of 64bit programs.

Seti says> Intel cpu's don't go kablooy. The Intel cpu chips have built in thermal protection that will throttle them back and allow them to cool down or just shut down. Now I build and beta test a lot of gear and from time to time I run the cpu without a heatsink. And at 180F or better, I get throttled back or shut down. But never ever ever lost a cpu chip due to heat.
AMD on the other hand has NO INTERNAL THERMAL PROTECTION. It will continue to run hot and hotter till it melts.
mayorredbeard
amd = cheaper then intel my furry friend . They can both do both, but many gamers do prefer amd for games because they do offer better architechture that results in better peformance in games. I see a huge difference from my p4 2.6 ghz to my amd 2.2 64 bit.

Jeeze you damn skippy you're gonna see a difference. The amd is 64 bit while the Intel is a 32 bit. That is an unfair comparision.

This is the main reason you guys burn me up so badly with these threads. You make unfair comparisions. You go off about how great and wonderful amd 64 bit cpu's are while comparing it to a P4 32 bit cpu.
This is bias...

Well even if the CPU is 64-bit, the program isn't, so it still runs in 32-bit.

I heard that F.E.A.R. is going to have a multithreaded version or whatnot, meaning that it'll fully use both cores on a dual-core CPU. :D

Sure enough it's there. When I came on, and saw a member with that X2 avatar, my first reaction was like "I don't remember seeing that". Maybe David granted him a custom pick. Now it's finally one of the options to use. But I"m wondering if he can also put in a regular Athlon 64?

malbuc87uk said:
Just wondering what the fuss was about.

Why do gamers worship these processors? Games are not 64-bit just now, so why shell out the extra money for an overpriced CPU which will make no difference in games? It's far from being a minimum specification, and 64-bit games are a good few years down the line. Save your money and buy it later, because the AMD64 you have in your "1337 rigs" just now will be hopelessly out of date by the time games go 64-bit.

It's the gamers that love these CPU's, but why? I've been playing games on a 32-bit Intel for years and years and get identical performance to an AMD (I've used both). My friend's got an AMD64 3800+ with the same components as I've got (I've got an Intel P4 3.2Ghz), no difference in performance. So why pay £400+ for something which isn't that special?

In actual fact, running 32-bit software on a 64-bit CPU could potentially hinder performance, as the processor is looking for 32 extra bits which aren't there which slows everything down a little bit.

Sure, 64-bit CPUs have their uses, but not in games IMHO.

It's all about amd's one-die memory controller. Put's them ahead in gaming and pwns intel.

Intel's aren't that bad...it's just the Prescrap cores that suck major ass. The Northwood and Gallatin were the best.

Back
Top Bottom