should i try this?

Gamingfreak

Fully Optimized
im reformatting my comp tomorrow (dont ask y) and i had the idea of doin a dual boot with xp and linux now what i need to know is what is the best version of linux to use? where do i get it? how easy is it to use compared to windows? and is it worth trying?

I would recommend Fedora Core 4 ... simply because its easy to install, good GUI and good uses
You can download it from the main webpages at Red Hat ...
Its pretty easy although the root shell takes abit getting used to
Definately worth trying :)
There is a list at http://distrocenter.linux.com/ which has the linux distros that most people use

I would also recommend Fedora Core 4. It's hard to say how easy it is to use since you're comparing with Windows. Its pretty easy if you're just gonna do standard tasks like surfing the net and stuff. If you wanna do code compiling and all that then it gets a little tricky. It's definitely worth trying though.

i dont really know anything about linux but ive heard good things the main reason i want to try it is to see if my comp will run faster because it uses less resources (i think) and i want to try running 3d marks on it and so on but i have another question does windows software like games and so on work with linux?

hmm i never really gave much thought about using linux. I think I will try it though. Is it possible to do a tripple boot bios though? Because I really can't decide on just one of those linux based operating systems. I feel like a kid in a baskin robins, 31 flavors, I CNAT DECIDE!

BAH! FORGET YOU ALL!

GENTOO=BeST LINUX DISTRO!
PORTAGE OWNS!

Just um...the manual in a size 2 font is about 94 pages :-/.....I don't know if they made the new installer yet...

If so, try ubuntu its pretty easy to install. Just don't get a Grub or Lilo boot program error.....

I merely want to add: don't install any Linux OS before Windows one! In this case you may have big troubles with multiboot loader.

Back
Top Bottom