College... What are your views?

Dested

Baseband Member
Im at kind of a crossroads in my life. Im about to graduate highschool at the end of next semister, and idk if i want to goto college or not. What i want to do is start my own company, making software and games. I have released 2 games so far (wanderlustgame.com) both year long big team production games, so im not just talking out my ass here.

I have pretty much 2 options. I can goto college, spend 56k over 4 years+ 4 years of my life fora peice of paper, all to get a job that conflicts with my natural entrapaneurship, or i can risk it all, move in with the dev team that wrote wanderlust, and work on tha full time.

i know i dont post on here alot, im just curious on your views.

or you could....

Go to college to get a decent job working in the tech industry... i.e. Blizzard or something. While you're there get more contacts, learn more, and build your small business on the side and let it grow.
I'm an entrepreneur (check out the link in my sig, just one of the many, but i've bigger plans for that) and I'm a senior in college. I owe the Army 4 years for my ROTC scholarship so that's what I'm going to be doing, but mind you I'm going to be doing my small business while I'm in the Army.
I would say go to college, it's the experience and you'll have fun doing it. In the end you have a piece of paper that says you're technically smarter than most of the population, and hirable in case your business goes under.
Good luck tho!

Collage is lesser then university, I'm planning on going to university myself... but yeah.

Chris

Dested said:
Im at kind of a crossroads in my life. Im about to graduate highschool at the end of next semister, and idk if i want to goto college or not. What i want to do is start my own company, making software and games. I have released 2 games so far (wanderlustgame.com) both year long big team production games, so im not just talking out my ass here.

I have pretty much 2 options. I can goto college, spend 56k over 4 years+ 4 years of my life fora peice of paper, all to get a job that conflicts with my natural entrapaneurship, or i can risk it all, move in with the dev team that wrote wanderlust, and work on tha full time.

i know i dont post on here alot, im just curious on your views.

You could take college in small portions and not be a full-time student, so just incase your company blows up, you can finish college and you'll have a headstart. I think you should do what you want to do and go with the company.

Definetly go to some sort of college, if you can. Get an internship, it sounds as if you have some credability and some experience. I'm sure some sort of company will take you under. Work your way through college, then you have numerous options and you aren't locking yourself in. Pursue your passion at a gaming company. But if you don't make it on your own, that piece of paper will mean a lot more to you then, then it does now.

Here's a cheaper way of doing it. Go to a junior college for a coule of years and get your transfer credits towards a university of your choice. In the meantime, see if you can get a good job with what you know and whatever experience you have.

By the time you get to the university, you'll be a junior and it will be half the cost for tuition because you're halfway through due to the jc transfer credits. You'll graduate in no time. Education is very important. WIth the skills you have and education to back you up, you will OWN.

That is another valid point. A junior college would set yourself up nicely for a longer term education plan. Also, regardless of your current GPA, the larger universities and colleges will be looking at your grades in junior college, much less your less highschool grades. They might still, but it wouldn't be as focused on them if you went directly.

I know several succesful poeple. Most without college degrees. If you can make it without one then its a waste. If you think you need it then go with it.

draconum said:
Collage is lesser then university, I'm planning on going to university myself... but yeah.

Chris
not really it is just means it does not have things to do after the traditional four years, at a university you can go on to get a more specific degree

Back
Top Bottom