Help with Hard Drive recognition on reboot

Backlash787

Beta member
Hi, I'm new the forums and I'm looking for a little help.

I recenltly built a new PC and the specs are listed at the bottom of the post. The problem that I'm having is whenever I turn off the PC (Shut Down, turning off the power) and restart, the Bios doesn't recognize the HDD, only the NEC DVD burner. However, when I reboot the machine (Ctrl + Alt + Del) in the bios it will recognizes the HDD that time around. Basically, whenever PC is turned off and back on it fails to see the HDD until I reboot. I have played tried all the various Jumper Positions for both the HDD and the DVD and have tried swapping their positions on the IDE cable. I have even tried putting the HDD on IDE0 and the DVD separately on the IDE1 all with no luck. Any Ideas? Thanks

Specs -
Lian Li PC-65B
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester
eVGA nForce4 SLI
eVGA Geforce 7800GTX 256MB PCI Express x16
CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (4 x 512MB)
Thermaltake Silent Purepower 480W
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 200GB IDE Ultra ATA100
NEC IDE DVD Burner ND-3540A
Win XP Pro

Backlash787 said:
Hi, I'm new the forums and I'm looking for a little help.

I recenltly built a new PC and the specs are listed at the bottom of the post. The problem that I'm having is whenever I turn off the PC (Shut Down, turning off the power) and restart, the Bios doesn't recognize the HDD, only the NEC DVD burner. However, when I reboot the machine (Ctrl + Alt + Del) in the bios it will recognizes the HDD that time around. Basically, whenever PC is turned off and back on it fails to see the HDD until I reboot. I have played tried all the various Jumper Positions for both the HDD and the DVD and have tried swapping their positions on the IDE cable. I have even tried putting the HDD on IDE0 and the DVD separately on the IDE1 all with no luck. Any Ideas? Thanks

Specs -
Lian Li PC-65B
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester
eVGA nForce4 SLI
eVGA Geforce 7800GTX 256MB PCI Express x16
CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (4 x 512MB)
Thermaltake Silent Purepower 480W
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 200GB IDE Ultra ATA100
NEC IDE DVD Burner ND-3540A
Win XP Pro

First off, nice setup. Secondly, the eVGA board I heard is nice, is it?

Thirdly... insure that The HDD is powered correctly and recieving adequate power, and that the HDD jumpers are set for CABLE SELECT. Put the HDD on the END of IDE0 and the DVD burner on IDE1 as a MASTER. That way, you have dual masters, each on their own channel. Now, when you boot into the CMOS, if it happens again, enter the BIOS. Configure the Harddrive properly using your BIOS features (aka make sure specific settings that are normally under operating parameters) are initiated. Then restart. This should fix it. Try using a different MOLEX connector for the HDD as well (a different power input)

Hey everyone... Thanks for all the replies! I actually fixed the problem late last night. The HDD wasn't "spooling up" fast enough upon start-up so I had to put a 1 sec IDE Delay to give it enough time.

Also, thanks for the compliments on the system... IT SCREAMS :)

BTW, the reason got an IDE hard drive is because I accidentally put the IDE version instead of the SATA in my New Egg basket. (rolls eyes) Stupid mistake! Anyway, I decided just to keep it instead of sending in back and then waiting for a new drive to come. Besides, there isn't a TON of performance difference between a IDE ATA100 drive and a SATA is there?

O ya, and the eVGA mobo isn't bad at all! Started right up the first time ;) I got it free with my eVGA 7800GTX at NewEgg, a heck of a deal if you ask me.

Back
Top Bottom