Installation Problems

prasanth1

Beta member
Hi,

Recently, whenever I dowload an exe file and try to run it, it always comes up with that error message; "...encountered a problem, and needs to close".

Why is this happening?

thanks in advance 4 any advice ;)

p.s. i have about 10GB free on my comp, if thats any help

prasanth said:
Hi,

Recently, whenever I dowload an exe file and try to run it, it always comes up with that error message; "...encountered a problem, and needs to close".

Why is this happening?

thanks in advance 4 any advice ;)

p.s. i have about 10GB free on my comp, if thats any help

What .exe is it? It might be a virus, and it is preventing it from opening, or the file is corrupt.

Opteronix said:
What .exe is it? It might be a virus, and it is preventing it from opening, or the file is corrupt.

things like download managers, software trials, plugins etc...

for any downloaded exe, it always crashes

prasanth said:
things like download managers, software trials, plugins etc...

for any downloaded exe, it always crashes

Hmm, that is most likely attributed to the executable script in Windows being corrupted. I recommend you try a file system repair.

Go to START
go the the RUN command
in the bar, type cmd
once you are in DOS type the following:
chkdsk /r
(THERE IS A SPACE BETWEEN the chkdsk part and the /r!)
When it asks you to restart and run this command, enter Y and hit enter. Then restart the computer and let windows try and repair the lost script.

Opteronix said:
Hmm, that is most likely attributed to the executable script in Windows being corrupted. I recommend you try a file system repair.

Go to START
go the the RUN command
in the bar, type cmd
once you are in DOS type the following:
chkdsk /r
(THERE IS A SPACE BETWEEN the chkdsk part and the /r!)
When it asks you to restart and run this command, enter Y and hit enter. Then restart the computer and let windows try and repair the lost script.

i tried this, but it still doesn't work :(

thanks anyway

prasanth said:
i tried this, but it still doesn't work :(

thanks anyway

Really? Hmm... total corruption. FORMAT is the ONLY way to fix this then.... sry to tell you bro. Backup EVERYTHING and format XP ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom