Big Problem-Internet Drawing a Blank.

b182tm

In Runtime
Hey everybody.
I have a very large small problem. I had a illegal copy of Win XP Pro on my comp., and I tried putting wireless internet onto it using a USB antenna. It got a signal, and I could ping my radio and AP, even websites, but when I actually tried to go to a web-site, it said the page could not be found. So I thought (And several other internet guru's thought) that it was my version of Win XP. So I ordered a legit copy of XP, to try and see if that would fix it. I installed it today, still the same problem. I don't get it at all. I know its not hardware, because it is just using the USB port. I dont think it would be software, because I completely deleted all the old stuff. I just dont get it! Does anyone have any ideas? I need help bad!!! BTW, the antenna worked on the other comp.'s also(And it works on mine too, I just cant browse.) Thanks for any help.

Derek

Does your ISP use a proxy server???

Somewhere there is a box in internet settings saying 'automatically detect settings' check this and that may sort you out.

Do you have any P2P software installed and if so, does this work?

First off, shame on you for your ILLEGAL windows.. bad man... shame.. glad you are LEGIT now.

Anywho... did you clear the DNS browser cache? Try that, it is in Internet Options. Also, did you try and configure your network settings properly. I recommend using WPA Encryption and TKIP with a Thwarte Premium Server CA. That is one of the best setups.

Hey evrybody. Just to clear things up, I dont use that disc anymore, it just didnt feel right. I bought a legal copy. So that being said, Washington, What is a proxy server? I dont have P2P software, but I will try that, I never thought of it. I havent cleared the DNS cache, because this is the first internet connection I have had.

Thanks for the responses guys,
Derek

Well, my ISP requires certain settings to get online and also requires I register the computer. The connection will be there, but I won't be able to view webpages until I register. Maybe your ISP has something similar.

Hmmm....That may be it. But then you'd think it wouldnt work on my parents comp, but it does. So I'm not sure. I think I am going to bring my comp down by my dad's (I know huge pain) and see if it works via a ethernet cable. I kind of doubt it will, but it's worth a shot. Thanks a lot.

Derek

EDIT: Yeah, I do have USB 2.0. It wouldnt matter though, because it says I have a signal, but it doesnt load the page. Thanks for the input though, I appreciate it.

Hey guys, good news. I got it working (I'm using it right now). It turns out when I installed my legal copy of XP, my old XP didnt get completely deleted. I never technically re-formatted my HDD. So I went back and did it the right way (Had it boot from the disc,) and that got rid of everything. Re-Installed it, and it worked. Thanks for all the helo everyone, i really appreciate everyone here.

Derek

Back
Top Bottom