Software Legallity?

Hate to tell you but if it came with the old computer it is probably an OEM license. That means that it dies with the motherboard it came with, and therefore can not be [legally] installed on any other computer. There's a reason OEM software is half price...

Ok, Thanks all for the advice. So general concensious in inessensce is, I have still paid for the software.

Quick update....

Just built the new system, having vultured my old PC.

The software installation CD that came witht eh old PC refuses to install! Fortunately I have the SP to hand.

Also, is there anyway to bypass the intial "system checking" screens this install CD reads? What about some form of boot disc?

If not looks like I will be after a backup copy of XP home, lets hope the SP will work!

Ah, I was afraid of this. You have restore discs, don't you? Not the actual version of Windows. Restore discs are made for that brand of machine only. In most cases, it's made for that specific model, as well. You won't be able to use those restore discs on a different computer. You'll have to get your hands on a real copy of Windows.

Opteronix said:
Wait, when you buy WindowsXP HOme or Pro NORMAL Ed, you can put it on 3 computers... or maybe 2.. but I know it is either 2 or 3!
It's one license one computer, no more no less...

Opteronix said:
Wait, when you buy WindowsXP HOme or Pro NORMAL Ed, you can put it on 3 computers... or maybe 2.. but I know it is either 2 or 3!
Here's the links to the Win XP EULA (END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT):

Win XP Home Edition:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/eula.mspx

Win XP Pro: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/eula.mspx

Here's the main part:

1. GRANT OF LICENSE. Microsoft grants you the following rights provided that you comply with all terms and conditions of this EULA:

1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Software on a single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device ("Workstation Computer"). The Software may not be used by more than one processor at any one time on any single Workstation Computer.

I can get my hands on a copy of Xp easily thanks to BT.

Question is, will the SP number work witht he full version albeit a copy?

Why do you keep asking this? What do you mean SP number? The service packs are Windows upgrades. You just install them, and they're there. Maybe I don't understand the question....

CarbolicSmokeBa said:
I can get my hands on a copy of Xp easily thanks to BT.

Question is, will the SP number work witht he full version albeit a copy?

What you are now asking is basically illegal...

Back
Top Bottom