kernal update under control alt delete

Half Evil

Golden Master
when you hit the buttons ctr/alt/del and you go to the processes tab and go to top and click view it says dusplay kernal times. i was wondering what this is because i have never seen this before. thanks.

Ah, I did a bit of research and found out that it is a core part of the operating system. As It handles process/thread scheduling, memory management, and device I/O, along with other tasks.

The display on the Processes portion shows the percentage of processor time taken as system calls to the Operating System to do something.

I hope this helps

im at school right now but yes thanks that helps alot. and i will say another question when i get home

ok i have a break, last night when i was on my computer when you go to view and when you go to view and choose CPU history and i have a choice on which way to view my graphs: one graph for both CPU's or two graphs per CPU. And i always thought that the CPU was the cetral processing unit. But in my computer i only have one and thats a P.4 3.0 gh/z. so can you tell me what this second CPU graph is for because its like this on my computer only non of my friends and not my parents or the schools.

Its because you have a Pentium 4 Extreme Edition, or EE.

What this does, is it simulates a second CPU, because while the CPU's idle, it doesn't do anything, and so the virtual second core does something to take use of its time. At least, thats what i think it does.

So, your computer probably runs a bit faster on some programs. Its not the same as having 2 CPU' cores though, as its just virtual (i.e, not really there)

You also get an extra cache, called the L3 cache, within the processor rather than the standard 512kb stored in the L2 cache, you now get an extra one storing 2mb in there, giving the processor access to 2.5mb of memory at its disposal. Might not seem like much, but it does make an improvement.

If you press Control, Alt, Delete, and it comes up with the Windows Task Manager. If you then go to the Performance tab, there is a Kernel Memory section in the bottom right :p

ok thanks....and is there anyway you could explain this catche. i have heard of it but i have alawys thought that it has been RAM on the hard drive. so because were on the topic would you please explain this to me....dont worry its no big deal if you cant or dont wanna.

Back
Top Bottom