Upgrading my memory on my laptop... Worthwhile?

un4given1

In Runtime
Okay I've an Acer 1691WLMi with a Centrino 715 processor. I have 512MB DDR memory in it right now. I'm wondering, what's the specs on the M 715 processor? What memory is the optimum memory for it? I dont wanna go out and upgrade to a GB if it's unnecessary, ya know?

I looked around Google to find like a manual on the 715 but couldnt find anything. Anyone able to help me out?

What do you do on your labtop? 512 is fine, unless i guess you play the most frequent games, still 512 is enough.

Yeah, 512mb should be efficent, and I think that processor runs at 1.5ghz and so, yeah, that memory is fine.

You'll also find that upgrading memory on a laptop is alot harder than a PC, and takes different types of memory modules than PC's because they are smaller, and some laptops I have a feeling are completly un-upgradable because the parts are soldered together.

I hope this helps

No, upgrading the memory is no problem... Unscrew the little plate on the bottom and snaps in like nothing. I've an extra slot for another stick of memory. There is specific memory you have to buy though.

Anywho... I just noticed a little slowness while managing several applications. I'm a developer to say the least, in a nutshell. I am a senior majoring in aviation computer science and so my life revolves around this machine.
Many times I have multiple applications open... Browser/FTP/Several Explorers/Photoshop/Outlook Express/Winamp/various other apps in the background.
I do a lot of stuff at a time... Obsessive compulsive if you wanna call me that. ;)
Well I appreciate the hell everyone, any other opinions on this?

Ah right, thats good then. Most laptops I've seen don't have any expansion slots like that :p

Well... hmm... did it used to be slow? Or has it occured slowly? Have you ever tried running cleaning apps? Defragging the hard drive? Or if worst comes to worse, you could try re-installing windows, though you'd lose data as you'd have to format.

That brings into light another problem of course though, that some laptops don't come with a full installation of Windows on CD, so you'd have to use the recovery CD that came with it, which will set the harddrive back to factory settings.

You might find one of these suggestions help you. Note while running defrag, run it in safemode (f8 at bootup)

Yeah... I'm running the default XP that came with the laptop, just seemed easier to get the full functionality of the hardware that way. I could install my own version of XP but then I'd have to find all the drivers and whatnot.

I do defrag quite often, at least weekly. Hmmm, dont know what's the deal, just seems to be getting slightly slower, or it might just be me getting older... I dont know.
Why do you defrag in safemode? I've never done that.

Defragging in safemode just gives it more resources, because when within windows, it doesn't have full access to files since Windows is using them.
If its working fine within windows though, thats good, though people say to run it in Safemode thats all.

As for the Windows installation, if your laptop came with a recovery disc, this could be used to restore back. So you'l have a new laptop again, and might actually be faster since Windows tends to clog up after a while, and this might be why your noticing slowdown now.

Back
Top Bottom