weird lockup problem

shouup

In Runtime
I just got done swapping a GeForce MX4000 into my friends computer as well as putting a stick or 256MB ram, 350 watt power supply, and new hard drive and have ran into a couple snags. It runs completely fine when hooked up to my monitor, but when hooked up to a Dell LCD the mouse and keyboard seem to randomly lock up and not respond (the rest of the computer does its thing though). I originaly thought it was his mouse and keyboard because the computer was harmed pretty badly in a lightning storm, but i brought the keyboard and mouse back to my house and its been running fine...the only thing diferent is that i have a Samsun SyncMaster 19" CRT and he has a Dell LCD. Another thing i noticed is that the resolution with his monitor will only go up to 1024x768 where as mine will go up to 1792x1344. Any suggestions as to why his monitor would respond like that?

LCD's you'll find have an optimum resolution, and if pushed away from that (1024x768 for this), it stretches the image, and pixels change size because these monitors work in a different way so if the driver is then set in the display properties for this specific monitor, it won't let you go higher than the default rate the monitor was set to do which is why you can't change it.

As for the mouse and keyboard not working, are you sure its the monitor causing it, and not the fact that something is wrong with the ports?
If they work on your PC and don't on your friends, i'd suggest something wrong with them, as I doubt the monitor could do anything to it.

One thing to try is to take your keyboard and mouse from your computer and try them on your mates. Do these then work on the computer or not?

You could try re-installing Windows which might fix a few problems your mate might have, and coud also fix this problem which would be the next step. If this doesn't fix it because of driver issues, I'd suggest the ports.

I hope this helps :)

I have been using the same tower this whole time, i have brought it back to my house and it runs perfect...but when i take it back to his house and hook his LCD up, thats when the problem starts with the mouse and keyboard, its totaly unrelated and thats whats stumping me

Hmm, i'd try a re-install of windows on his machine as there may be some conflict of drivers appearing...

Make sure he backs up all important files before starting from scratch though as you know he won't get them back.

Hopefully this will fix the problem. I know it is horrible to have to start again, but you'll find it might speed things up too, and make it more stable.

Im going to re-install windows tonight, i thought i would just check up with everyone before i went through with it. Thanks for the tips and keep them comming if any other suggestions come to mind!

No problems :)

I do have one little hint that might help before you try formatting, and if your going to anyway, if this doesn't work, you haven't lost anything.

SAFEMODE:

First, I want you to enter safe mode to see if the devices work then. If they do, it suggests a driver issue.

Restart the PC and press F8 at bootup a few times. Select safe mode from the list that appears.

After this has loaded up after a while, do all devices work as they are meant to?
If it does, its a conflict of some kind.

DEVICE MANAGER:

Now enter the normal windows mode, and go to the Control Panel, and go to System, and then to the Hardware tab, followed by clicking on the button saying "Device Manager".

You'll find a long list of all devices installed. For example, the keyboard, and Mouse. You'll also find one for the monitor here.

KEYBOARD:

Now, open up the keyboard one first by double clicking it, and then again on the name of the device. A window should now appear.

Go to the Driver tab and select Uninstall, and after its done that, restart the machine. It'll find the keyboard automatically hopefully and re-install it there and then using default drivers.

MOUSE:

Next do the same to the mouse using the same process.

Any help brought from doing this?

THE MONITOR:

Next, we'll try re-instaling the monitor driver using the same way. When you open the option for the Monitor, instead of "Default monitor", does it say "?" ?= the name of the monitor?

I'm wondering though if doing the un-install feature will make the monitor go blank, which will be a bit freaky. But it should say to restart for the option to take effect, and if this happens, after a restart, the monitor should come back into use.

After trying these, a re-install of windows is all I can think of.
I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom