CPU Question!

Smety

Baseband Member
Hey guys, thank god I have found a place where smarter people than me can solve my problems!

Well I have 2 questions about my Intel P4 CPU 1.6 GHz's

BTW it can support HT technology . . .

First question, it says hyper threading is disabled on this system thing I looked at, how can I enable it?

And second, is there any not super confusing way I could overclock my processor?!

And yes im upgrading my processor soon, thats why I need to bare with it for now :(

Thanks mates!

I think HyperThreading is hardware enabled...so I'm not sure if you can enable it at all. Check your BIOS and see if you can.

Also, if you're going to overclock a Pentium 4 that runs at 1.6ghz, don't even bother overclocking it. You won't noticed much difference anyways...you'll just end up shortening the life of the processor itself.

What are BIOS im a noob :/

And yeah I kinda figured OC'ing a 1.6 wouldnt be worth it, but I just have to wait till around christmas, and for the games im playing right now im gonna notice a little difference, but thank god im upgrading, but yeah if you know how, a quick lil lesson would be great!

But thanks for the info mate!

Oh ok. Is your current computer a custom built one? Or is it from Dell, HP, Compaq, or some company that pre-builds them?

If you have a Dell or whatnot, then I'm afraid it's gonna be hard, because most pre-built companies block access to the BIOS. Mind you, overclocking usually voids warranties, so they block access for a reason.

Smety said:
Hey guys, thank god I have found a place where smarter people than me can solve my problems!

Well I have 2 questions about my Intel P4 CPU 1.6 GHz's

BTW it can support HT technology . . .

First question, it says hyper threading is disabled on this system thing I looked at, how can I enable it?

And second, is there any not super confusing way I could overclock my processor?!

And yes im upgrading my processor soon, thats why I need to bare with it for now :(

Thanks mates!

Unless I am missing something, your Pentium4 is NOT HT enabled, because it is built on the original Northwood core (the best P4 core ever BTW). Yes, is your current PC built by yourself or a company, and if it is built by a company, which one?

In order to OC a processor, you must balance several elements. This entails the PROCESSOR MULTIPLIER, FrontSide BUS speeds, RAM voltages and dividers (in asynchronus Overclocking), and of course processor voltage. It isn't just something you can just DO on hte fly without prior knowledge. I think I am going to write a guide on overclocking soon for this forum, and talk to david about getting it... I suppose it is called sticking it?

Its a Dell *sigh*

Well, if the the BIOS arent blocked, then maybe you could tell me a way to get in, but if they are oh well.

Hmmm I really thought it was HT, but I guess it's a possibility its not.

Oh and Ill have a look at your OC Thread as soon as you have it up.

Thanks for all your help mates :)

Smety said:
Its a Dell *sigh*

Well, if the the BIOS arent blocked, then maybe you could tell me a way to get in, but if they are oh well.

Hmmm I really thought it was HT, but I guess it's a possibility its not.

Oh and Ill have a look at your OC Thread as soon as you have it up.

Thanks for all your help mates :)

No, if the BIOS is locked, it is IMPOSSIBLE TO GET IN. Sorry mate.

Oh okay, well that sucks lol, but thanks again dood :)

Stupid Dell

Oh and just wondering, do use your computer as like a workstation or something, cuz you've got some killer specs!

No problem. Becides, building your own computer is fun and you learn a lot! If you have anything that you're unsure of, come here and feel free to ask us!

Oh, and your signature can be 5 lines maximum. Thanks.

Smety said:
Oh okay, well that sucks lol, but thanks again dood :)

Stupid Dell

Oh and just wondering, do use your computer as like a workstation or something, cuz you've got some killer specs!

Workstation my dear boy. :)

Back
Top Bottom