Lookie what I got today!!

Looks good. Don't rush while you build it and double check all connections. I'll bet you will encounter some problems with SATA hard drive so we'll see if that gives you any trouble.

I'll look forward to seeing how the X2 and the 7800GTX perform.

I got the RAM from the US because it was £80 cheaper than here in the UK. I got my motherboard from eBuyer (like I was saying in your thread woz).

Yeah, I'm taking it EXTREMELY slowly as I have never built a PC before.

Wish me luck!!

The manual is also your best friend. It has very detail picts and label so you can go by that to connect the cases wiring onto the motherboard (also USB connections too). To me, that is the most critical part. Everything else is just plug and play.

Be really carefully handling it too. Hold motherboard, video card, etc, by the edges. Also, make sure an elbow or a hand or some part of your body is touching the metal chassis of the case to prevent static shock to your components.

First build can be fun, but with a lot of precautions.

Oh yeah, don't worry TRD, I've spent weeks researching how a PC fits together, and I've read the motherboard manual at least 3 times all the way throuygh. I've also printed a guide just to make sure I keep on track with things.

One question I do have though is do I HAVE to use thermal paste on the processor? I've had friends who don't and they've been fine. Is there any damage done to it without the stuff?

EDIT: I also bought an anti-static wristband to be sure of not shocking myself :)

You must have some kind of thermal compound on there regardless if its thermal pad or paste. You may choose to use aftermarket Arctic Silver if you wish instead of the stock thermal pad on the bottom of the heatsink. It's an option, but you don't have to. Stock will work just fine. If you plan on OCing the darn thing, Arctic Silver is proven to be better.

You can't really get shocked unless you are playing with the power supply while it's plugged into the wall socket. It's more like a precaution from you shocking the motherboard and the rest of the computer stuff. Funny, huh?

Back
Top Bottom