Amd Question!

Arcade

Solid State Member
ok when I researched the processor I chose for my new system last night I ran across some info that kind of shook me, so maybe someone here can straighten up any doubts I have.

MY PROCESSOR--
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819103533

Its supposedly advertised at 2.2ghz and i thought I was buying a relatively new amd processor, so maybe amd has a different way of measuring speed? I don't know but my current system is a 2.6ghz intel p4, and I don't wanna downgrade to something slower, so hopefully i just have a misunderstanding about amd's speed or something. Someone help me plz

Don't worry, you have a very good processor. It's physical processing frequency will be slower (2.2GHz), but it's actual processing power will be much better.

That's the thing with AMD: yes, it's actual clock rate is slower, but they're designed to process a lot more data at a time. Basically it works a lot harder at a bit slower speed. Hence the numbers like 3500+. That 3500 means that it will process roughly the equivalent of a 3.5GHz Intel processor. Don't worry, it's definitely an upgrade!

I can see why you panicked, but you have deffinitely got an upgrade and by far a better processor all around. If ou upgraded from a 2.6GHz Celeron processor, then well done. One more person ridding the world of rubbish CPUs!

the deceived said:
I can see why you panicked, but you have deffinitely got an upgrade and by far a better processor all around. If ou upgraded from a 2.6GHz Celeron processor, then well done. One more person ridding the world of rubbish CPUs!

Indeed. ALso another reason for AMD processors using a lower clock synth is because they are MORE EFFICIENT. They use 14 pipelines, dual cores use 12, compared to your Pentium4's 31.. yes... 31 pipelines... imagine this as an example

You and a friend leave the same place in identical cars. Your friend takes a 31 (pipelines) mile long road driving at 26 (2.6GHz) MPH. You go on a 14 mile road driving 22 (2.2GHz) MPH. Who gets to the destination first? oh.. that would be YOU.

Back
Top Bottom