Thinking about getting new cpu/mobo!!!!

Varren1

Baseband Member
Varren said:
Currently I have an MSI KT4AV Socket A mobo and an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ OC'ed to 2.15 Ghz. I was thinking of upgrading my cpu and motherboard to these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157081
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103533

The reason I am getting that mobo is because I have a 6800gt in agp (that I just got) and I want to still use it. Plus that mobo supposedly is compatible with the future M2 cpus.
What do you guys think of this?

The bit about it being M2 ready is NOT true, it would need to support DDR2, which it does NOT.

There are no current motherboards supporting M2. I've seen that motherboard before and it rocks "ASRocks". That thing can handle AGP and PCI-e.

I also hear there's a Socket F coming?? More pins...

TRDCorolla said:
There are no current motherboards supporting M2. I've seen that motherboard before and it rocks "ASRocks". That thing can handle AGP and PCI-e.

I also hear there's a Socket F coming?? More pins...

Hmm??? What is this?? I wasn't aware of this... Socket S= Turion's next socket, and M2= Desktop 64bit AMD's new socket. Socket F=?? I will do research!

EDIT: MUAHHAH! I did some quick database research, and guess what I found, ALL THE STATS for Socket F! MUHAAHH!!

Here they are:
Socket F will support DDR2 memory, ECC Registered ONLY

This socket is designed for single, dual, and quad core Opterons ONLY (both low voltage and standard x86) with the exception of the 100 series Opterons which will use M2.

Socket F will use 1207 pin interface, allowing for much higher bandwidth.

Also, a bit on Socket S as well, since that popped up a lot. Socket S1 with 638-pins, which will replace existing Socket 754 for laptops (aka, Turion chips). This is a reduction of pins, indicating LOWER WATTAGE USAGE, and optomized bitrate compression factors (meaning MORE mobile)

Ok so maybe I was wrong about the M2 socket but what do you think of the upgrade anyway?

Hmm if I upgrade my mobo I will have to reformat my hard drive and reinstall windows right?
How difficult is reformatting a hdd and reinstalling windows?
How long does it usually take?

Yes, reformat hard drive and reinstall Windows for best compatiblity and reduce errors. Reformatting hard drive and installing Windows is as easy as popping in the Windows XP CD and reboot. That's it. Follow on screen directions. It will take about an hour.

Back
Top Bottom