2 routers on a network?

-Paul-

Fully Optimized
ok here is the deal i have a home network that has a single cable modem hooked into a router. i have wireless all over the house, except in my bedroom where there is no signal so i have a wired ethernet cable into my bedroom. but the only problem with that is it is on the otherside of the room and at night i like to surf the web from my laptop on my bed. so instead of running a long ugly ethernet cable across the room i was thinking why not take the hardwired cable(that connects the router in my den to my bedroom) and plug it into the internet port on the second router in my bedroom. is this possible with a ROUTER (i know access points work like this but how about routers) a friend gave me a wireless b linksys router i could use so please let me know if this is possible

well if you have the router try it out. i don't see y it wouldn't. you might get some slower connection speeds but i'm only making a educational guess.

Dishdog said:
well if you have the router try it out. i don't see y it wouldn't. you might come some slower connection speeds but i'm only making a educational guess.
i am trying and it will let me go to google perform one search then it just keeps giving me the "Page can not be found error"

For most purposes, daisy chaining a switch to the router is adequate and much simpler. But you need that wireless conenction because you don't want to use a line routed all the way into your room? I couldn't quite make out what you're trying to say.

When you connect router to router, I think you'll need a crossover cable between the two.

Why not try moving your wireless router around and see if you can get better signal coverage and get a signal in your room? and you can buy range expanders that will strengthen the signal. to me that would be simpler that trying to do what you are doing.

Tommy Boy said:
Why not try moving your wireless router around and see if you can get better signal coverage and get a signal in your room? and you can buy range expanders that will strengthen the signal. to me that would be simpler that trying to do what you are doing.
i cant my mom would not get it on the other side of the house if i moved it

it will work or it should. i did that with my house. i have a wire linksy but needed wireless so i just ran another wire on to the cables and it runs great. i now have 8poerts so i can have 8 more pc with internet wich is good for lan partys.

also, make sure the router is as high as you can get it so you get good signal coverage throughout the whole house. if it's a 2 story house, it should be on the second floor.

Back
Top Bottom